votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Site Proposals

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Site suggestion - Code Golf

Parent

Site suggestion - Code Golf

+16
−1

Update: launched.

It's probably okay to request a new site here. If so, I suggest there to be a Code Golf site. TopAnswers has a Code Golf site, and evidently there is a large amount of core users there.

Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
−8

Remove votes on code golf submissions

I believe votes have no place in code golf, only the language and byte counts of submissions should matter.

(My point does not stand for challenges nor for submissions to other challenge types, like King of the Hill).

Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (12 comments)
General comments
dzaima‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Short answers aren't necessarily "interesting". Getting the smallest byte count of all answers isn't a goal in code golf challenges either. E.g. a Python submission would definitely be longer, than, say, Jelly, but has a chance of being much more interesting due to the restricted toolset, often leading to much cooler algorithms.

user53100‭ wrote over 2 years ago

@dzaima I intended intra-language competition. But as you say, at times the shortest solution in a language is not as interesting as a longer one in the same language; in such cases both could coexist as separate submissions to the challenge and the author can always explain what makes that submission different. From my experience, with voting in play the incentives are misaligned and do not fit the spirit of code golf.

Personally I'm fine with there being some incentive to "have fun". And the frequency of that being taken too far should be small enough for it to not be a big worry. Some mixed sorting system that pushes new answers above highest voted ones would be nice, but also would be somewhat harder to do right.

Quintec‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I disagree with this answer. The incentives with a voting system do not misalign with code golf, they merely enhance it. While I understand your point about intra-language competition, simply put, people want to know which answers they should look at when they see a question. Voting is a simple way to highlight exceptional answers regardless of character count or language. This is one of the things that has worked well on SE and I see no reason to change it.

moony‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Alongside all this, some things, like KoTHs, operate with voting in mind, incentivizing people to post really interesting answers, even if they're not particularly good at the actual challenge. I'd say an example of this is the Mandelbrant in Formic Functions, which proves it's possible to draw an image within the game, and is a really cool answer at that. But it's not exactly going to win any games!

@moony I only meant to remove voting for code golf submissions, not for submissions to other challenge types as I hoped to convey in the parenthesis, but looks like I may have messed up my English

@dzaima Fun can still be had by allowing multiple answers to a challenge. Maybe we can include a sort option to alphabetically/randomly sort the languages and sort answers in each language by byte count? or somehow still group submissions in the same language together

@Quintec I disagree with "This is one of the things that has worked well on SE", when I have more time I might expand on my view

Peter Taylor‭ wrote over 2 years ago

There is some truth in the observation that people don't always vote for answers based on how well or cleverly they've been optimised for the goal, but this is at best half of a proposal. Votes are not cosmetic: they have a mechanical function. Even if powers aren't unlocked by rep, there will still be some powers unlocked by making sufficient good answers, and that means that a replacement mechanism for identifying good answers would be required.

"sort answers in each language by byte count" By far most challenges will only have one answer per language, so that doesn't do much. Sorting alphabetically is useless and just means some languages get viewed more. Random is probably the best ordering without votes, but that really should be the fallback ordering, not the primary introduction.

@PeterTaylor Thank you for pointing this flaw with my answer, I haven't thought of a replacement

@dzaima Thinking over this, I think I will be satisfied with an option to hide votes on answers (which I believe has already been proposed before for all the network), with the addition of a language-based sorting option, so that they can both coexist.