Power Users
Tabletop RPGs
Tabletop RPGs

Dashboard
Notifications
Mark all as read
Site Proposals

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Science-Fiction & Fantasy site

+12
−0

I'd love to see a Science Fiction (& Fantasy?) site. I contributed to one on another site and it was very successful.

On topic: films, books, comics and even video games if the question is about the plot (so no "how to complete a quest").

Since this is a proposal, I welcome your feedback, whether you think this will work or reasons why it won't.

Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (8 comments)

Comments on Science-Fiction & Fantasy site

General comments
Lundin‭ wrote 11 months ago:

Perfect opportunity to not repeat the same mistakes as SE did. They made everything from Donald Duck to Grimm brothers on-topic "fantasy", because it contains "fantastic creatures". Surely it must be possible to make a much more narrow scope and a better definition of the genres.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 11 months ago:

I feel like there could be a useful partnership with Scientific Speculation, too -- this community for what exists, that one for what could exist (with a science ground).

Canina‭ wrote 11 months ago:

Adding to Monica's comment above, also of course Writing, where people can ask about how to tell a science fiction or fantasy story of their own creation. (Or any other kind of written matter, for that matter; pretty much everything from blog posts to technical articles to screenplays is welcome.)

Peter Cooper Jr.‭ wrote 11 months ago:

@Lundin Just to argue the other side, it can be really hard to define "fantasy" without suddenly realizing you're encompassing all of fiction. And it's really frustrating to have questions and not sure where to get answers, with just "it's off topic here" being a reason to not get them even where there are people able willing to answer. I totally get that scopes need to be well-defined, but it's quite a tricky beast.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 11 months ago:

@Lundin would you be able to flesh that out into a scope proposal in an answer, so people can vote, comment (more easily), and edit? Thanks. (I wasn't active over there so I don't know what those pitfalls were.)

@Peter Cooper Jr.‭ And yet all book stores in the world manage just fine to categorize fantasy & sci-fi. You will not find books about Donald Duck in the fantasy shelf. You will not find Lord of the Rings in the children's books shelf. You won't find Star Wars books in the astronomy shelf, but in the sci/fi shelf. And so on. It's not that hard really, just apply common sense and sort the books after which genre they sort under, not after what they contain.

I would guess that the scope issue at SE Sci-fi/fantasy is simply caused by the usual meta lawyers, who must define everything in detail and can't apply common sense on a case-to-case basis. If I am to ask a question about Donald Duck, then my common sense tells me to 1) try to find a Disney community 2) if that fails, try to find a cartoon community 3) don't go ask it on a sci-fi/fantasy site the first thing you do, because that would be pretty stupid.

And then someone goes to ask questions about Donald Duck on that site anyhow. After which the meta lawyers descend upon the topic and start to find evidence that Donald Duck is a fantasy character. And once you go down that rabbit hole, everything is suddenly on-topic (including rabbit holes, because Alice in Wonderland is now a fantasy book too).

This community is part of the Codidact network. We have other communities too — take a look!

You can also join us in chat!

Want to advertise this community? Use our templates!