votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Heads up: small design changes, a better user card and some long-expected features

Heads up: small design changes, a better user card and some long-expected features

+5
−1

Update: The reputation number in the header has been added back again for the time being, until we have found a suitable solution.

This is just a quick heads up, that you are, indeed, not crazy and that the design of the header really changed.

We deployed a few nice and (at least some of them) long-expected changes:

• a community switcher in the header, which can be used to easily move between the communities,
  • an inline search-bar that allows you to start a search without leaving the page (middle-click for the old behavior),
  • a re-designed user card (more infos below), and
  • a list of suggested edits for each category.

Furthermore, there have been a few minor changes, such as dropping the (not very useful) "Categories" entry from the menu and making the moderator menu more helpful (when there are flags: clicking on the "Mod" item brings you to the flags as before, but if there aren't any, you'll get immediately to the moderator tools).

With regards to the user card:

This is part of our move away from reputation (although we will not remove the option to have reputation for now). From now on, communities can decide, which details are supposed to be shown on it. We'll update the site settings upon requests by the moderators.

The default setting is called r.12sE. In this description, "." means a forced new line (display might break to a second line anyway depending on its length), "r" reputation, "p" number of posts, "1" top-level posts, "2" second-level posts (answers), "s" score of votes received (up - down), "v" number of votes received, "V" number of votes cast, "E" number of edits made on posts.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (9 comments)
General comments

Skipping 2 deleted comments.

ghost-in-the-zsh‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

I'm not really liking this idea: "This is part of our move away from reputation (although we will not remove the option to have reputation for now)." I think this has its use, including, but not limited to, letting you see/know how useful the questions/answers you've posted have been to said community... I think the rep should continue to be shown as it used to on your profile picture/card...

Alexei‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Reputation in the user card might be an incentive for some, so I agree with ghost-in-the-zsh‭. It should be so important, as it seems to be on SE network (simply asking a few popular questions gets you lots of points and privileges), but I would leave it visible by default.

ArtOfCode‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Alexei as luap mentioned here and as you can see around the site, reputation is included in the user card by default and is still being used in our current user cards.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 3 years ago

"part of our move away from reputation". This is a bad attitude. Reputation is very useful. Rep was one of the main drivers that caused traffic on SE. Don't throw it out because some people imaging some ideal world where it shouldn't matter. It does. Also, bring back the rep on the banner.

luap42‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@OlinLathrop I know that you are one of the strongest defenders of rep and that we have some differences with regards to it. I'm considering what to do with the rep display in the header right now (whether to bring it back or what to replace it with). And, this change is not throwing reputation out. Quite the opposite. We are empowering communities to decide, what they want. If a community only wants rep, fine. If they want to get rid of it, fine too.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@luap42 I have no problem with you allowing communities that don't want rep to shut it off. But, you took away the rep display on the banner unilaterally, without input from the community. Don't take it away before at least giving me the option of turning it back on. Preferably, all changes default to the previous state. In this case it means the default should be on, with a new option available to mods to turn it off.

@luap42 if your deciding what rep really should be, then I've got a few suggestions. The rep change per vote should be settable per category. For example, votes on meta shouldn't effect rep at all. We have a Papers category on EE that should result in higher rep for both up and down votes. Again, this should all be settable from a mod "site settings" page somewhere.

@luap42 it was originally promised that the new abilities thresholds would be tweakable per site. As far as I can see, they are not. Is this work in progress, or has something changed?

luap42‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@OlinLathrop the rep in the header is back, until we've found a suitable replacement/alternative/solution. The ability thresholds can be tweaked per-site, but this is currently an admin-only setting (I think, because it's a PITA to reverse a wrong threshold once the Abilities have been applied). If you want to change the thresholds, notify the Codidact team with the proposed values and we'll apply the updates.