votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Do we have a public API yet?

Do we have a public API yet?

+10
−0

I've looked around for information on an existing or planned public API for Codidact but I haven't yet found one. I'm not sure if this means it was decided not to include it in the MVP or if it exists but is not easy to find (for me, at least).

The only reference to a public API that I could find was a post in the old discussion forum which suggested a public API was planned but may not be MVP (at that point it was still to be decided).

The reason I'm interested in a public API is for reading answer content from a particular question in order to run another coding contest like one that I posted in 2017. I no longer post to Stack Exchange, but I like the idea of a question where the answers can be read automatically by external code and the code the answers contain can be run against each other to generate a leaderboard. The "Challenge" post type on Code Golf Codidact (using the tag "king-of-the-hill") seems ideal for this, apart from the lack of a public API.

So my questions are:

• Do Codidact sites already have a public API?
  • If not, is there a plan to introduce one?
  • If there is a plan, is this already specified or is there opportunity to be involved in discussion of its specifications?
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

I would love to be able to use something like the Emacs stack exchange client (https://github.com/ver... (1 comment)
General comments (5 comments)
General comments
Mithical‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

I don't believe we currently have an API, but I'll hold off on answering until one of the devs confirms. We do plan on having one but I'm not aware of any active development on that project.

trichoplax‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

There's no urgency from my perspective. Just knowing there will be an API at some point in future is great news.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

Hasn't been ruled out, for sure. We want an API; we just haven't gotten there. Which means yes, there's opportunity to be involved. I'll defer further elaboration to the devs (I can't say anything about timing).

ArtOfCode‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

Dev here confirming. API is in the plans, but there's a whoooole load in the backlog. I'd like to get to it sooner rather than later, but it's got to fit in among more user-facing stuff as well, and we have limited developer time. Definitely plenty of scope for folks who want to use it to help specify it - our development Discord server would be the place for that.

deleted user wrote almost 3 years ago

@MonicaCellio So, I think moderator should add a status-planned tag. :)