votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Should we show length of character for each "things"?

Should we show length of character for each "things"?

+3
−0

Usually, maximum length of post body is 30,000 characters. And, maximum length of post title is 250 characters. Reported here. Length of thread title is also 250 characters. I was thinking, "Should we show character count like comment body does?". It may makes the UI little bit messy. Most of title never goes more than 100 characters. But, title length touch up to 200 characters in Math. Post body can reach up to 20,000 characters. But, some Software Development posts reaches more than 30,000 characters. Currently, we are returning error message if post body goes more than 30,000 characters. So, I don't think we should show character length also. Currently, Post title and thread title don't return an error. But, I don't think we should show character length. I want everyone's opinion.

I think the limit should be increased in Codidact Math. ~ from the answer

But, actually I noticed that limit of title in SE sites is 150. In Math SE, I had reached 160 once then, I had removed some context. While limit of title in SE is 150 than, why should we increase the length(more than 150)?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

User friendly approach? (3 comments)
User friendly approach?
Alexei‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

I think one nice approach is to not show the character length unless the text length is getting closer or above the max length. This prevents:

1. cluttering the UI with information you almost never want to know

2. having some other UI element changing as you type (the char count)

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

Alexei‭ Not a bad idea.! :)

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I wonder about the performance impact of checking as you type -- it's one thing to update for a comment that caps out at 500 characters, but a 30,000-character post would be different. At the very least, though, if you hit the limit and a submission is rejected because of it, we should report the info then so you know how far over you went (so you can edit intelligently). And maybe from that point on we should show it, since that's a rare case. Deferring to developers; just some thoughts.