votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on New activity grey circle indicators confusingly triggered by question deletion

New activity grey circle indicators confusingly triggered by question deletion

+4
−0

Related:

(Note that those are about the wordings on the question list page, whereas this is about the grey circle indicator on the Category tab.)

When a question is deleted, it triggers the grey circle new activity indicator for the Category that it was posted in:

A Category showing a grey circle to indicate new activity

This is potentially confusing for users who cannot see deleted questions, as there will be no recent activity showing in that Category (note the most recent activity in the following image is 11 days ago):

The Category that claimed new activity, showing the most recent activity was 11 days ago

This makes it look like the grey circle new activity indicator is broken, when in fact it is only misleading.

Could this behaviour be changed so that either post deletion does not trigger the grey circle new activity indicator, or that it only triggers it for users who can see deleted posts?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

It would be better to indicate last activity was a question deletion. (4 comments)
It would be better to indicate last activity was a question deletion.
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 1 year ago

It would be better to indicate last activity was a question deletion.

trichoplax‭ wrote over 1 year ago

I've just edited the top of the question to change it from a link to a closed GitHub issue to a more general GitHub issue. That one mentions the possibility of indicating there was an answer deletion on the question. It currently states this decision could go either way, so it might be worth putting your reasons into an answer here or a comment on the GitHub issue.

(Note that question deletion is harder to indicate, and isn't mentioned in the GitHub issue as intended work - that might need raising separately if you consider it needed. Answer deletion can be shown because the question still exists to put a message on.)

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Sorry, I meant deletion of an answer to an existing question.

trichoplax‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Ah I see. The recent comments on that GitHub issue suggest that answer deletion will be labelled as such, as you recommend. I've edited this Meta post to make it clearer that this one concerns the grey circle indicators and question deletion rather than answer deletion, and I've added a new GitHub issue for that as it's a separate problem (and linked to it from the top of this Meta post).