votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on What should I know when coming here from Stack Exchange?

Parent

What should I know when coming here from Stack Exchange?

+73
−0

This website seems much like the Stack Exchange family of sites, but I immediately noticed some differences, like being able to comment at once and not being able to vote on this meta (but the ability to vote was elsewhere, though heavily limited).

As a new member, what should I know at minimum to participate effectively here; and is there a good place for finding more extensive information?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Copying content from SE (2 comments)
General comments (4 comments)
−0

I signed up a couple years ago but only got active here in the last couple weeks. Here are some of my notes.

Your reputation doesn't transfer over

I'm starting from 1 here. There have been some questions imported to some sites and you can claim your content there, but that isn't the usual case and most of us will be starting from scratch.

Most Stack Exchange content doesn't exist here

Despite that Stack Exchange content is permissively licensed and available in a data dump, only a little of it has been imported here. A community tried to import an entire stack and it didn't work out well, either from an SEO or community building standpoint. There could be options to import more content in the future, but for now, don't expect to come here and pick up where you left off on Stack Exchange.

The equivalent of your stack may not exist here

A handful of communities have been created here including a software development community that is the equivalent of Stack Overflow. However, if you are coming from a smaller stack, it may not exist here yet. I'm in the process of getting a Webmasters community going here.

You can choose a license when posting

Every time you post, you choose how to license that post. It's an extra drop down beneath the preview. Different communities here have different license options. The defaults are all from Creative Commons.

Chat is on Discord

Codidact hasn't built its own chat product and run its own chat servers like Stack Exchange. There is a communities Discord server and a development one.

It's small

There are not a lot of questions here and not a lot of traffic to them. Codidact just doesn't have even close to the scale of Stack Exchange (yet.)

Management is refreshingly responsive

The all volunteer (I think) staff is friendly and been very receptive to my suggestions and bug reports.

Tags have hierarchies

I haven't been able to play around with it much yet, but each tag can have a parent tag. I'm pretty excited about it, personally.

You may miss your user scripts

I used a lot of user scripts on Stack Exchange. I'll probably extend some of them to work here as well.

UI differences can be jarring

I was surprised how much I used to use the question title link when that isn't available here. I'm also missing the linked time stamp to view the last edit.

Overall the UI is close enough to Stack Exchange that it will feel familiar. But there will be some things you miss and some things you find for which you had always wished.

It's open source

I went through the process of getting qpixel (the software that powers the Q/A website here) installed on my home computer. Hopefully I'll be able to make some pull requests.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

3 comment threads

The UI isn't set in stone (3 comments)
"You can choose a creative commons license" (6 comments)
Built in scripts per community (2 comments)
The UI isn't set in stone
trichoplax‭ wrote 10 months ago

I know you've already raised the idea of the question title being a link.

I also like the idea of the last edited timestamp being a link to the edit history. I like the explicit "History" button, but I don't see any reason why we couldn't have both links - it won't take up any more screen space. Might be worth raising...

All in all, these things are also fairly minor. I point it out mostly because when you are used to something, differences can feel worse than they would if you are a new user.

trichoplax‭ wrote 10 months ago

I try to raise as many minor bugs and feature requests as I can. Just because they're not essential doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.

With the code being open source, they can make good first issues for people wanting to get started, so they don't necessarily have to wait a long time to be implemented.