votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on A way to prohibit creating certain tags.

Parent

A way to prohibit creating certain tags.

+7
−0

On EE.CO we have some tags that are utterly useless, but people keep on using them, for example voltage.

For non-experts: voltage is one of the main physical quantity used to describe the behavior of any circuit or electrical system.

Such tags become kitchen sinks used to tag questions of all sorts, so there is no benefit to use them to organize questions.

I was thinking whether we would need a new feature like a "forbidden tag" thing, with which mods could define a set of tags that cannot be created (when a user tried to create them, some kind of message would be displayed to warn them). They could appear on the tag list in a different color, with a notice to not use them.

However, I think this behavior could be emulated with existing features.

If we define a tag like do-not-use-this-tag-ever and then create synonyms with all the tags we want to prohibit, the users wouldn't be able to create them and the platform would already point that out.

Do you think this is a sound idea?

A problem I can see is that probably there is a limit on how many tag synonyms can be created (is it a DB limit or a UI limit?).

I've already created tags with 4 synonyms, but in this case we could be dealing with dozens of synonyms (commonly used words used in the field that are too generic to mean anything as tags). Maybe the system is not designed to handle this.

What do you think about the idea?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

3 comment threads

Explanation of why the tag is banned (1 comment)
I think we tested with dozens of synonyms but not hundreds. This seems like a workable approach until... (5 comments)
Is voltage really meaningless? (9 comments)
−0

Category settings include some tag settings:

• Required tags: a set of tags, one of which must be included in a post (this is how discussion, feature-request, bug, and support on meta work)

• Topic tags: tags with a visual difference but no other restrictions (the Proposals site uses these)

• Moderator-only tags: what it says on the label.

It seems reasonable to me to add blacklisted tag names as a fourth type of setting. Everything else in this section involves actual tags and I don't know if the code is assuming that, so I don't know if this is easy or hard. I'll have to ask.

Category settings are admin-only because there's destructive stuff in there too. This approach works if blacklisting is expected to not be a super-frequent operation. Our team is generally pretty quick in responding to requests from moderators for configuration changes, but I do acknowledge that it's an extra step, so if we think it'll be needed a lot we should look for another way to approach it.

(Possibly it makes sense to move these settings from the category settings to new options available from the tags page, like the "new" button that is available to moderators. But that's a bigger job.)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

Maybe wait to see how my workaround plays out? (3 comments)
No `new` button for me. (3 comments)
Maybe wait to see how my workaround plays out?
Lorenzo Donati‭ wrote 9 months ago

Since you are scarce on dev resources, maybe it could be useful to see how my workaround plays out on EE.CD. Following what I suggested in my question, I created three "do-not-use" tags (do-not-use--too-generic, do-not-use--too-specific, do-not-use--ambiguous) and I began populating them with synonyms to be blacklisted.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 9 months ago

Sounds good. I wanted to post this idea while I was thinking of it, but I agree that your workaround is promising so let's see how that goes.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 5 months ago

How is your workaround working out? I had one further idea: we can make the "do-not-use" tags moderator-only, which would block people using the synonyms and not just warn them about it. I currently see one use of one of these tags.