votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Observations on Codidact's presentation to the outside world

Observations on Codidact's presentation to the outside world

+0
−0

I put some thoughts into the problem of attracting more people and the Incubator concept. I have ideas and suggestions I'd like to share. Maybe it gets something going. If not, also fine.

Current State

To the outside world "Codidact" is the name that is presented. This is the name that sticks in the head of people. As I mentioned on several occasions, if those people come to the main page and they realize there are existing categories and none fits their concern, they leave.

TL;DR: The main page has to directly put the user into the Incubator

(or directly and prominently introduce the place to post at least; see comment thread by trichoplax for details).

Problem

The problem is, the Incubator is a Codidact-internal concept, which existence is not communicated to the "outside world". Thus, there is no guidance from the "Codidact" main page into the "Incubator".

The name is totally fitting for the purpose of it. But from an "advertising point of view" it is a huge obstacle. There needs to be a more fitting name to the outside world.

In fact, my thought is Codidact has to become the Incubator to the outside world (<-> The Incubator has to become Codidact to the outside world).

Convey the message to all users

If people come to Codidact, they have to be presented with the opportunity to ask any question that they would like to address - no restrictions. This attracts people and generates content. This would foster an "incubation effect", without explicitly naming it this way.

The Meta-people/admins/mods then can observe which topics are requested and act accordingly (put up a site, maintain fitting tags, groups, categories etc.).

Instances vs. Filters

The communities have to be presented as some kind of pre-defined set for filtering all posts -- preferably offered at the sidebar, directly accessible. So they become "first order citizens" of the navigation.

The intent is, preventing the need to filter/search the Incubator for "some topic" and idk several sub-tags as well and then doing the same for "Writing" or other specialized site(s) that might be covering those topics.

What about topics that are not covered by a specialized site yet, like "Worldbuilding" for example - the term is obvious and generates interest, but the topics are inside the Incubater, maybe Writing, and Speculative Science (for a part of those questions), maybe even Puzzles (but this is only a proposal as well).

The user can just hit a "Worldbuilding" button and then get a filtered view of the Incubator as well as the community sites content that exists for it and where the pre-collated and categorized posts are to this topic.

-- In fact, this button might just put the user into the specialized community (for example "Writing") as it exists now (let's assume that the Incubator gets sorted and filtered regularly to pipe all the contents to the right sites).

This way you can present the "full content body" as one big pool of Q&A (internally they can be structured as wanted of course, I do not mean to merge all posts into one big database; just make it accessible as a unit), while adding "filter buttons" to the sidebar as many as you like or want to experiment with. Because they are no "instances" but just "filter options" across sites. The main sorting/retrieval and categorization would happen according to the tags.

If a new post is made for "Worldbuilding" for example (determined by clicking on such a filter button) the new post just gets the according tag and is posted to the instance what is now the "Incubator Q&A".

Maybe a quick way of achieving this is to provide a navigation by hand-selected tags on the right sidebar of the Incubator Q&A (with a friendly message inviting to post the first post of something, instead of showing "0 results for this query"; which would be discouraging).

This prevents the "Ghost town" effect while at the same time allows to convey a (huge/larger) field of topics that are applicable and endorsed here.

I do not mean to blindly add all the proposals to a list of filter buttons. This can/should be cherry picked. But maybe all the proposals are listed below a clear indication of "Help to build..." - that would be very inviting to post something "new".

Insider knowledge vs. Outside presentation

"We" (The Meta-People) know that this is the "Incubator concept". But this is nothing to be shown to the outside world.

The flagship/figurehead to the outside is/has to be "Codidact" not "Codidact-Incubation".

Further Site Observations

Focus between Meta vs. Communities

I noticed the bottom panel on the Codidact sites. They read

• "The Codidact Project" and
  • "Other Codidact Communities".

The effects are two-folds:

(A) It puts primary focus on the meta aspects of Codidact.

Actually, the meta-aspects are only a kind of administration or maintenance layer/group (no degradation intended, that to be clear!) The Meta-people are the driving and creational factors, but they should act behind-the-scenes and not at the flagship position.

-- Unless of course, I misunderstand the Codidact project and purpose. Then I'd love some feedback on this. Would help me a lot.

(B) It diminishes the light on the communities

I mean "Other communities"?? They are "THE communities" they "ARE Codidact's main content". In fact they are "Codidact" to the outside world.

That should be promoted.

Main Site Navigation

As of currently, communities are almost invisible, because they only show up if you click this "3x3 grid button" on the top right corner. Honestly, I associate this button glyph and position with an option for "grid display vs list display" of the current content on screen. Not with the main navigation of the site!

Same and maybe even on a more severe level goes for the "overhang" menu on the far right end of the top bar with the arrow down glyph. This menu should popup when a user clicks on the main button on the far left (the "current community" icon/image).

(See comment thread by trichoplax for more details.)

Dashboard

The dashboard puts too much focus on the subcategories in terms of space. There is no way of looking at all communities at a glance, because all the subcategories compete with the title image. And you need to scroll to check them all.

Bottom Panel Revamp

I would suggest (independently of improvements to the other aspects) creating some small button versions of the title images and add them to the bottom panel.

Categorized, grouped, or at least similar items closer together. Not by alphabetical order or some randomized/arbitrary ordering (by "adding date" or "importance"? I don't understand the current way of sorting right now.

• This way "Christianity" is neighboured with "Judaism" under the category of "Religion" (for example) and allows adding more.
  • And "Power Users" can be associated with "Software Development" and others (like "Cryptography", "Crypto-Currencies", etc.) to "IT" for example.
  • "TabletopRPG" and "Boardgames", "Videogames" and others are collected under "Games".
  • And "Writing", "Arts&Crafts", "Creative Challenges", "Puzzles", etc. are presented under "Creativity".
  • "Outdoors" "Sports" and the like under "Activity".
  • And so on. I think the picture should be clear at this point.
History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Navigation to other communities (6 comments)
Other Codidact Communities (3 comments)
Navigation to other communities
trichoplax‭ wrote about 2 months ago

In addition to the dashboard, there is also the communities button, which is a downward pointing arrow in a box, at the top right of the page. I mention this because it lists the communities without their categories, but the fact that you hadn't discovered it naturally shows that it could be more visible.

Antares‭ wrote about 2 months ago

Oh, you mean the overhang menu, yes I forgot to mention that in the text. It is also not a good spot for putting the communites there. The menu should more like popup when clicking on the main button (the first on the left, button of the current site).

trichoplax‭ wrote about 2 months ago

I like the idea of the current community logo being a way of switching to another community, but most sites have their logo as a link to their homepage, so it might not be expected. I wonder if putting the downward pointing arrow next to the current community logo would be more intuitive.

Antares‭ wrote about 2 months ago

It would probably not be fully intuitive, but it would certainly be put into the right context and therefore gain a lot of importance and meaning.

Maybe the button could be placed in front of the (sub-)site logo with a bigger arrow glyph or maybe a different icon this would bring a conclusive hierarchy into the navigation.

The main button being a link to the (sub-)site's homepage is somewhat like a "dead end". There is the menu bar with "QA" and "Blog" etc. as a main element to navigate on the (sub-)site already. But there is no (apparent) navigation to the "level up".

trichoplax‭ wrote about 1 month ago

I agree that the logo being a link to the specific community homepage is redundant. I'm just aware that it is the expected behaviour for many people, so I was wary of introducing surprising behaviour.

Antares‭ wrote about 1 month ago · edited about 1 month ago

Ah I see! Good point.

My suggestion would be: Announce it and change it but make clear it is an experiment intended for being there for one month, then wait for responses. If the overall feedback is negative and brings forward good reasons for it, remove it again or improve it according to the feedback on Meta (or Discord, idk yet about the channels that much, but I'll get there).