votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on What are duplicate questions?

Parent

What are duplicate questions?

+3
−0

What does Codidact consider a duplicate question? What practical consequences does that have?

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−4

The most important aspect of a question, is always the answer. We may all have questions, but most questions here are not of the philosophical or rhetorical kind, hence without an answer, the question is not particularly useful.

This is the practical answer to why we enforce duplicate closure on Codidact; it's better to gather the answers in one location, and send everyone there.

Questions do not have to be the exact same in order to be considered a duplicate. Different questions can sometimes have the exact same answer. If that is the case, they are considered duplicates. In the same way, very similar questions aren't necessarily duplicates, because they may have different answers.

Cross-community duplicates

Sometimes a community receives a question which is already answered elsewhere on Codidact. The scope of whether or not a question is a duplicate, is not just limited to a single community. However, it's important to take into account the community in which a question was posted in, when judging if it's a cross-community duplicate. Sometimes, a rather similar question will have a different answer based on which community it belongs to. For example, a question asking for an interpretation of a specific religious text, will have a different answer based on which religious community it was posted in, as it's looking for the viewpoint or interpretation with that specific religion's aspects in mind. Therefore, not all questions are cross-community duplicates despite their similarity.

If an answer already exists in another community, but has an insufficient explanation for the cross-community question, it's reasonable to not close it as a duplicate, but instead provide an answer which links back to that original answer, and additionally expands on it with an explanation suitable for the question in the current community. For example, an answer on Software Development is likely unreasonable for somebody seeking answers in Power Users to understand, or apply to their own case. As such, it's better to write a new answer more suitable for the different audience.

With another example in mind, the same request for a new feature may be posted in multiple communities' meta categories, as well as on Meta Codidact. That is definitely a cross-community duplicate.

It is the curators in each community that best knows if a question they receive, is a cross-community duplicate. Their knowledge of the community they curate, is best fit to judge if the question is this type of duplicate.

We do not yet have the functionality on Codidact to close posts as duplicates across communities. That is something to be implemented down the road.

Signposts

Exact duplicates are often not very useful to keep around. Low-quality duplicates will suffer the same fate. We eventually delete them.

On the other hand, some questions provide a different entry to the same answer. Others simply present a different view of the same problem. Together, they all form useful paths toward the same set of answers. Therefore, we consider these questions signposts. We still close them as duplicates, but we do not delete them, because they are valuable to keep around.

Is it necessary to close duplicate questions?

Yes. In order to prevent fragmentation of knowledge, and to make it easily accessible and discoverable, it is beneficial to ensure that duplicate questions link back to the location in which the answer is already found, as well as prevent answers from being posted to the new duplicate question. It would be very hard and confusing for both curators and answer seekers if the knowledge is scattered all around Codidact. Additionally, it will promote repeatedly posting the same question from different users, which bloats our knowledge repository with no added value.

Question incorrectly closed

We all make mistakes. That includes the curators and moderators on Codidact. Luckily, a question closure is not the end of the world. If you are confident that a question was marked as a duplicate in error, flag to reopen it. It may also be useful to edit the question to clarify it, or post a comment explaining the case.

The duplicate question and answers are outdated

Use the "outdated" reaction on the posts. There is currently no system in place to handle these, but we'll build one down the line.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Merely having the same answer doesn't make questions duplicates. Having the same *explained, necessa... (6 comments)
Merely having the same answer doesn't make questions duplicates. Having the same *explained, necessa...
Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 1 month ago

Merely having the same answer doesn't make questions duplicates. Having the same explained, necessary answer does. For example, "reinstall the OS" could be the answer to a wide variety of questions, but that doesn't mean a question about audio drivers is a duplicate of a question about the boot sector. Ideally, an answer saying to reinstall the OS for a driver problem would explain how that's related to drivers, making it an unsuitable dupe for other reinstall-OS cases, but if you're trying to establish a rule, we need to address these kinds of complications.

Quite honestly, I didn't address that, because I think it's so obvious that those are not duplicates. But maybe I should add a section on how the same answer can have a different explanation based on which community it's part of. In that case, they would only be cross-community-duplicates if we had the functionality to mark it as a duplicate with a full answer instead of just a link.

I added a section expanding on when an existing answer in another community does not suffice to qualify the question as a cross-community duplicate. Does that cover your feedback?

It could come up on the same community too, not just cross-community. Yes I think and would hope that the people involved would use good judgement, but any rules or guidelines need to account for human judgement. Rules are not a stick to be applied against better judgement.

I specifically tried to not make this a collection of hard rules, like we're used to from SE. I find that having hard rules and borders strips curators from making the right choices for the best of the knowledge repository, because there will always be edge cases. I do think that speaks in favour of not listing every possible edge case. So I wanted this post to primarily lay out guidelines for curators, but more importantly, explain to newcomers or people who had their questions closed, why we close them, what closure means on a more abstract level, and how it plays out in practice, without too many details, so we don't cuff the hands of the curators. They will always know better in each specific case they handle, than a set of rules laid out in advance.

I agree we don't want hard rules. Thanks for clarifying your intentions. At the end of all of this, I imagine some guidance in the help (and linked from close messages).