votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Our site incubator concept needs a re-think

Parent

Our site incubator concept needs a re-think

+5
−1

Background

Starting new sites here at Codidact has evolved over time, mostly as we got experience and realized we needed to do something different.

Originally, new sites would be proposed here on meta, kicked around, then fully created if it felt right. That sortof worked when Codidact was new, but we found some sites were being launched without sufficient commitment and interest from users. These sites are still here, but have very low activity.

The current incubator system was developed in response to that. A site was created just for starting new sites.

The current system

If you have an idea for a new site, you write it up in the Descriptions category.

Users can indicate their interest and expected level of commitment to the proposed site by selecting one of several "reactions". Currently, the choices are Casual browser, Active user, or Subject matter expert. The users that "signed up" with each reaction are shown at the top of the site proposal so that everyone can see the level of interest.

To define the site better, questions are asked in the Incubator Q&A category. Each question is tagged with the special tag unique to each proposed site. Voting is largely used to get people's opinions of whether the question is a good fit for the proposed site. Reasons why and arguments for or against fit are in comments. Answers are written as if the question were on the real site.

Hashing out the site definition is done in the meta category. People can argue for or against changes to the existing proposal, with voting used to get a sense of how the community feels about each issue. Proposals can then be edited accordingly.

Existing problems

Let's understand that the design of the current system was well-meaning, and in response to experience with the previous system. However, now that we've had some experience with this system, several problems have become apparent:

• Who/when edits the proposal? There have been good discussions in meta about details of various proposals. However, what constitutes a consensus such that the site proposal should be changed? What does it mean when a change gets 2 upvotes and 2 downvotes? Keep in mind that the original proposer presumably agrees with the proposal, so 2-2 vote tally is really 3-2 users for/against. What threshold is sufficient? Who gets to decide that? Anyone can edit the proposal, but when should they?

• Huge barrier to "outside" people. There are a lot of mechanics around trying to "use" any of the proposed sites. Those already here at Codidact for other reasons can generally figure it out. However, consider the experience of someone outside being told of a new site with a topic that interests them. This person may not be used to computer forums or Q&A sites, or particularly tech-savy. I'll use someone who is interested in invasive species as an example, since there is a meta discussion about that:

1. OK, I've read the site proposal and the rules make sense. What's this "proposal" thing? I thought I was going to an invasive species forum.
    2. Huh? I can't just ask a question here? I have to go to this other "category" thing?
    3. There is nothing about invasive species here! I don't care about how to make kelp grow less tall, fixing corrupt data in some game, resurrecting long-dead people. What the ...? I must be in the wrong place.
    4. OK, I have to post my question here, but it has to be "tagged". What's a tag? What tag am I supposed to use? How was I supposed to know this before getting a nasty-gram message in a comment?
    5. It's a day later. Where did my question go? All I see is babble about psychic powers to move stuff around, some philosophy BS about Kant (who the heck is that?), people underground not knowing a war is over, blah, blah, blah.
    6. Olin told me this place was for discussing invasive species. I'll never believe anything that guy says again. I'm outta here!

Actually, I can't envision anyone making it to step 6. Most will be lost by step 3.

• Substantially new topics have no chance. Since only existing Codidact users are going to have meaningful impact on proposed sites, the only possible new sites are somewhat close to other topics users are already here for. For example, Worldbuilding might work because enough people here for Scientific Speculation could be interested. It's no surprise that Worldbuilding has gotten way more action than Invasive Species, for example.
  • Nobody outside will ever find a proposed site. Even ignoring the large barrier to participation of outside people, how are they ever going to discover a possible new site? There is little focused on the specific topic for search engines to guide you too. There isn't a whole site proclaiming to be about "Invasive Species", for example, just a site proposal.

A search engine might point you to a specific question in the Incubator Q&A category, but then what? Answering the question may not be so bad, but what if you want to ask a different question? Now there are a lot of things you need to know you really have no way to know you don't know, and it looks like you ended up in a pile of drivel.

The question

Let's hear some ideas for a better way to start new sites.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−2

I don't know whether I like the following idea better or worse than the current approach with a tag for each proposed community, but I agree we could benefit from discussion of new ideas, so here's an idea to discuss. Maybe discussion will lead to something better than either.

Category per proposed community

Process

• If I have an idea for a new community, I add a description to the Descriptions category (as currently).
  • A moderator sees the new description and responds by creating a new category with that name, with the first paragraph of the description as the category description at the top of the page.
  • A link can now be added from the post in the Descriptions category to its new dedicated category.
  • Anyone can now add example questions to this category, and answer them and vote and comment on them.

Less Codidact experience needed

This means that the category only contains questions for this specific proposed community, and there is a community-specific description at the top of the category page, so people unfamiliar with Codidact can be given a link directly to the category and not have to find their way from the Descriptions category.

Meta

Should Meta questions be asked

• In the existing Meta category
  • In the relevant proposed community category with the tag "meta"?
  • In an individual community-name-meta category per proposed community?

I'd lean towards one of the first two, to keep the number of categories down.

Tags

Currently all questions are in one category, so a tag name that happens to apply to two or more proposed communities will either have a description that only applies to one of them (whoever edited first), or have sections for different communities, making it confusing for people not experienced with how Proposals works.

With a category per community, there could also be a tag set per category (the software already supports this - it's an option an admin can select). This way, a tag in the Invasive Species category has a description unique to that category, even if a tag with the same name also exists in Board Games or Politics.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

This would lead to way more categories than is manageable for users. It doesn't solve the problem of ... (6 comments)
This would lead to way more categories than is manageable for users. It doesn't solve the problem of ...

This would lead to way more categories than is manageable for users. It doesn't solve the problem of the user finding where to post, as it'll be a confusing long list of categories. The solution is filtering. We need to shove a filtering selection into the the top of the Q/A category list.

trichoplax‭ wrote about 1 month ago

I agree it would be difficult for users browsing the proposals. This is why I am uncertain about this idea. I imagine it making things easier for users being directed to a single proposal (such as Invasive Species users who are unfamiliar with Codidact), but potentially less easy for existing Codidact users.

As for filtering, there is already a filter section at the top of the Q&A category. Are there specific extra filters you would like to see added to that?

Right, the collapsed filter section which is very easy to miss. I never really figured out the filters on Codidact. I've been here for over a year, yet I still don't know how they work. I think that kinda speaks for itself. Filters as implemented on Codidact are more a complicated collections of buttons than useful.

If we're trying to be beginner-friendly, we need a dropdown listing only the community proposal tags, and then use that to create a filter for people.

It sounds like you would like 2 things:

1. Improvements to filters for all communities (not just Proposals).
  2. Customisation of the filters for Proposals.

I'm in favour of 1.

I'm not against 2, but I wonder if the general filters (before or after the improvements in 1) could be used to give what you suggest without needing to customise the code. For example, if moderators could add custom filters to a category, then there could be a filter in the drop down box for each proposed community, similar to what you suggest. Would this, combined with making the filters more visible, cover what you want?

The filters section already has a box "Predefined Filters" but I couldn't tell whether moderators are currently able to add to this. Users can add their own personal filters to this, but I couldn't see a way for a moderator to define a filter for everyone, rather than just themselves. I could imagine that being a useful feature for communities in general though.