votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Arranging footer "other codidact sites" list alphabetically rather than chronologically

Arranging footer "other codidact sites" list alphabetically rather than chronologically

+10
−1

In the footer, the sites are currently arranged as:

• Writing
  • Outdoors
  • Photography
  • Sci Spec
  • Cooking
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Judaism
  • L&L
  • Software Dev
  • Meta

With the exclusion of setting Meta apart, can the remaining sites be rearranged so as to be in alphabetical order, rather than chronological by launch date?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (9 comments)
General comments
manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

+1 But I suspect it is not "launch date" but rather "internal autoincrement id #" Which is almost the same.

luap42‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@manassehkatz no it isn't. It's the list from https://github.com/codidact/community-list/blob/master/communities.json

Ugh. That should absolutely be sitting in a database table.

ArtOfCode‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@manassehkatz Why, though? A public JSON file is arguably easier to maintain and more transparent.

DonielF‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Pardon my ignorance: what’s the difference between a database and a JSON or XML or XLS or the like, in terms of maintenance?

I'm very much a database guy. If this is in the database, then when you add a new community, everything is in the database except for discrete community-specific files (e.g., logos). This way no files need to be updated for a new community - they either exist for specific community or exist (unchanged) for "everyone".

In my ideal setup (which I don't always get to do), with the exception of graphics, there is a grand total of one file that ever changes - containing DB credentials, S3 credentials, key configuration details. Everything else is in the database.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@manassehkatz that JSON file is what we use to publish our community list beyond the sites -- the list on codidact.com, and if you look at TopAnswers you'll see that they include our list of communities just as we include theirs.

But IMNSHO, the JSON file should be an output of the system, which in turn should draw it from the database. Something like codidact.com/communitylist would read the database and spit out JSON.