votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Suggestion for allowing to mark answers as "accepted", "outdated" or "dangerous"

Suggestion for allowing to mark answers as "accepted", "outdated" or "dangerous"

+26
−1

Currently, it is possible to upvote and downvote answers. That's likely enough in most situations, but there are some cases where you might want to have more than one way to react to a post.

For example, imagine you are on Software Development and an answer suggests a solution that drastically impedes your system's security. Or you are on Electrical Engineering and the answer suggests something that might electrocute you. In these cases, a downvote might not be enough of a signal to warn users of such possible dangers.

Another possible situation is "accepting answers", a concept that exists on most common Q&A sites. Unlike other sites, we decided quite early that a single vote from the asker shouldn't impact answer sort order.

And yet another feature suggested and strongly advocated for by some users is the option of "signed votes", mostly seen as a way for experts or highly reputable community members to give more weight to their votes by publicly endorsing (or refuting) a specific answer.

I think I've got a solution, one that might provide a framework for commmunities to solve all these use cases. We discussed this in chat and tossed some ideas around, and I must say that I absolutely love the current proposal:

Communities will be able to define a small set of "reactions", which can be applied to posts. Default (or recommended) reactions would likely be:

• ☑ This post works for me (= accepting an answer, but not only by OP)
  • ⏳ This post is outdated
  • ⚠ This post is dangerous

However, communities might want to have different reactions. For example, Cooking might want to have

• 😋 This is tasty
  • 🤮 This doesn't taste good

Once applied to answers, there would be a little box/badge above the answer, which contains the selected reaction and a list of users who have chosen that reaction. I used the developer tools in my browser to simulate what this might look like. Imagin, that the tooltip on the first badge says the names of the users choosing that reaction.

Mockup showing two badges (works for many users & found dangerous by one user) above a post

Users will be able to choose reactions from a modal that can be opened from a button below the voting buttons. When choosing a reaction, users will be encouraged to add comments, giving details to their vote. This is especially neccessary for marking a post as "dangerous", because other users need to know what exactly is dangerous.

Here are two mockups for how the reactions modal might be presented:

Mockup showing a modal with the label "This post ..." and the options "works for me", "is outdated" and "is dangerous (add comment)" and an optional comment box

Same mockup as above, but some icons similiar to the emojis in the list above have been added

Additionally, when entering a comment into the comment box in the modal, a comment will be posted on the user's behalf, which contains the chosen reaction and comment. (Also seen in the screenshots.)

What do you think of this suggested feature? Do you have any other use cases we should consider if we chose to implement this suggestion?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (7 comments)
General comments
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 3 years ago

This would also be a good place to add the signed up and down votes.

luap42‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Olin Lathrop - yeah. I think, generally, that having the three reaction types replaces the need for signed up and down votes, as they cover almost the same meaning (accepted = up, outdated & dangerous = down). If a community wants to have separate signed up and downvotes, that'll be easily possible too. They could just add two additional (or replacement) reactions "🔺 good" and "🔻 bad".

DonielF‭ wrote over 3 years ago

In hindsight I kinda feel bad for users who logged on to the Discord to find several hundred notifications waiting for them.

luap42‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@DonielF Oh don’t worry, that happens from time to time... :P

Zerotime‭ wrote over 3 years ago

This is a nice idea. I can also think about a good implementation for a medical sciences site: buttons indicating if a source is good or bad.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@luap42: The point about the signed up and down votes is that they do more than just leave a comment. They should additionally effect the score of the post and the rep of the author more strongly than unsigned votes. That means some special handling needs to be implemented.

user‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Perhaps it's worth considering distinguishing accepted answers which give a solution, and accepted answers which essentially say "there is no solution" - sometimes an exotic workaround is found later, "necromancing" answers etc.