votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Hot Network Questions like feature?

Parent

Hot Network Questions like feature?

+9
−2

Initially HNQ's were the only reason I ever contributed to sites outside of Stack Overflow. In my opinion, a similar tool might be even more valuable in the early stages of Codidact's growth. I could see it increasing user engagement across communities.

Of course HNQ has had a controversial recent history in SE, with several examples of non work appropriate topics and trolling making their way to the HNQ bar. But I think rejecting a HNQ based on this is throwing the baby out with the bath water. I think this can be helped if sites have some degree of control over what posts are eligible for HNQ, or even if any posts in a community get shown at all.

Is there a plan to add a Hot Network Questions (HNQ) like feature?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−1

The easiest answer to HNQ is to not have such a feature at all. I thinks that HNQ are an ill-conceived feature of StackExchange. They are more of a distraction than good.

A more permissive way of dealing with HNQ is to let each user control if he wants to see the HNQs.

Yet more permissive approach is to give each user an ability to select which sites can provide content for his HNQ feed. (I'm interested in Engineering and Photography. I'm not interested in Politics.)

edit:

If we are going to have a feature like that, we should choose a different moniker. Perhaps we could call it "notable questions" or "curated questions".

The word "hot" implies mass appeal. For a site with professional standards that's more of a distraction than good exposure. The masses usually don't [care to] uphold the professional standards. The professionals will find the site anyway.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
ShowMeBillyJo‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I like the idea of letting a user define a list of sites to include and/or exclude from HNQ. My initial thought is that exclude lists might be the better approach from a community-building perspective, because it enhances visibility by default.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Definitely agree on the name -- let's banish "hot".