votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on How can we make Codidact more friendly for askers?

Parent

How can we make Codidact more friendly for askers?

+10
−0

Most of the sites are struggling to get questions and while it seems to me at least that more effort has been put into optimizing for the answerers than for the askers.

To put it another way, there are lots and lots of sites on the internet where one could get their question answered, why should they ask it here?

Recently for me, it has not so much been that I don't have questions but more that the cost of writing questions is has not been worth the benefit.

What can we do to encourage people to ask questions here?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−1

Don't shoot the messenger. What about assimilating Codidact's website design — just this, nothing else, definitely not their policies — to Stack Exchange's?

I sugegst this because I asked some friends to use Codidact. They said they will try us, but they prefer S.E.'s design because it's neater and cleaner. Let's compare them side by side.

alt text

They said they

1. prefer how S.E. makes question titles bigger.

2. found Codidact too cluttered. Like the "Featured" and "Hot Posts" rectangle on the right. On S.E. they turn off Hot Network Questions.

3. S.E. keeps "Questions, Tags, Users" together. Why does Codidact put "Users" up at the top, separate from "Posts", "Tags"?

4. are irked by the community description, which is taking up valuable space. Isn't it obvious that "Mathematics" is about "General Q&A about all branches of theoretical and applied mathematics etc..."? They don't need to see it every time they come to the site.

5. are irked by the "Subscribe" button.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (7 comments)
General comments
manassehkatz‭ wrote about 3 years ago

I can see pros & cons for every one of these issues. One thing to keep in mind is that unlike SE, we are open to change here: Newer (so less inertia to overcome to make changes), not driven by corporate interests (so no need to leave room for advertising, etc.), and not driven by "one particular big site matters far more than all the others". So get them over here, let them try it out and they can suggest specific changes as they see fit.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. We should consider making some of those sections collapsible. The reason users aren't with tags and posts is that tags and posts are at the category level, while users are global for a community. If you click on "tags" in the meta category, for example, you'll only see the meta tags, not all of them. But if you click on "users" anywhere, you see everybody. We use the positioning to indicate what's global vs category (for example, help is also global).

Peter Taylor‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Point 4 is based on a misunderstanding: it's not a description of the site, but of the category Q&A (Meta has different text there). Moving the text into the purple header might clarify the scope, although it wouldn't deal with the point that you really only need to read it once, not every time you visit the question list.

@PeterTaylor moving the text into the category header (something I briefly thought about too) would not work well on small viewports, like phones. I've just filed a GitHub issue to make it collapsible instead.

celtschk‭ wrote about 3 years ago

A simple solution would be to put a close or collapse button on the text. If the categories page hadn't been removed, I'd say it's enough to list the descriptions there (as an aside, I actually miss a way to get a quick overview without clicking on all categories; if anything, I would have increased the utility of the page by adding information to it).

We've made the text of the category description smaller for now, while we explore what it would take to make it collapsible.

klutt‭ wrote about 3 years ago

I agree with you here. We don't need to look exactly as SE, but we need to look good. At the moment, we don't. It feels quite clunky.