votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on How can we make Codidact more friendly for askers?

Parent

How can we make Codidact more friendly for askers?

+10
−0

Most of the sites are struggling to get questions and while it seems to me at least that more effort has been put into optimizing for the answerers than for the askers.

To put it another way, there are lots and lots of sites on the internet where one could get their question answered, why should they ask it here?

Recently for me, it has not so much been that I don't have questions but more that the cost of writing questions is has not been worth the benefit.

What can we do to encourage people to ask questions here?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−6

I'll try not to repeat what's already written here.

1. Codidact just feels too cluttered compared to S.E. — see https://meta.codidact.com/posts/280464. I think Codidact can gain from appearing more S.E. Then people won't have to get used to two different layouts.

2. Codidact doesn't offer communities for subjects that the average layman cares about. Just look at S.E. and Reddit's most popular communities. We got no politics, economics, finance, medicine, DIY or home improvement!

Most ones here are too esoteric — Scientific Speculation, Electrical Engineering, Software Development, Code Golf. No offense to Christianity and Judaism — but many English speakers aren't Christians or Jews.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (3 comments)
General comments
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Just like on SE, the sites are what users proposed and gave some indication they will support. Nobody sat down and decided to have a particular set of sites. If you want something that's not here, propose it. Be prepared to do the work to define the site, get others on board, eventually write the help pages, etc.

Derek Elkins‭ wrote about 3 years ago

SE's most popular community by far is StackOverflow which is larger than all other communities combined by I think every metric SE tracks. The top several communities by users are "esoteric" (e.g. programming, sys admin, mathematics) and similarly by traffic. Arquade, a site for gamers, is arguably the first site that would be (superficially) appealing to "the average layman".

Derek Elkins‭ wrote about 3 years ago · edited about 3 years ago

Even on Reddit the story isn't that clear cut. r/science is about four times the size of r/politics. That said, the Q&A format makes a big difference in my opinion and makes Reddit and SE not very comparable. I suspect a large part of r/gaming would find Arqade uncompelling. This is just a bizarre critique.