votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Comments don't like multi-line code :/

Parent

Comments don't like multi-line code :/

+4
−1

I was in the middle of doing something in Software Development CD and I've decided to make a comment thread regarding something from the answerer's quote.

I went writing a comment and added a multi-line code:

use gen-purp
func main() {
    char c = 'A';
    say(make_int(c));
}

Then I sent the comment, aaaaand: comments hate multi-line code.

No, seriously. It does.

I can't tell if this is a bug or by-design, so I'll leave it at that with the tags.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Reproduction (1 comment)
−0

When comments were all shown directly under the post with no way to collapse them, it made sense to restrict formatting that could make them take up a lot more vertical space. But (a) we do allow Mathjax (on communities that use it) and (b) comments are now threaded, so I think it makes sense to relax the restrictions.

I don't think we want to remove all restrictions -- and end up with fleshed-out answer buried in comments where most people will never see them -- but I'm sympathetic to allowing code blocks especially on code-based communities. Does it make sense to limit this beyond the length limit for the comment as a whole? What would be a reasonable balance?

(I suppose if somebody uses code formatting to make a 200-line comment just to be cute, a mod would delete the comment and perhaps have a discussion with the author.)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General (2 comments)
General
General Sebast1an‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Does it make sense to limit this beyond the length limit for the comment as a whole? What would be a reasonable balance?

I don't think you need to make the limit go even further in many cases. All I want is support for multi-line code blocks.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I didn't mean to suggest increasing the limit. If you type 500 characters as text, it's a certain size that people have grown used to. With code blocks, a comment could plausibly be 2-3 times as tall. is that a problem or is that ok? The typical case of a few lines of code seems reasonable to me, but what if it's 20 very short lines? 50 lines of APL one or two characters per line? Should we have any limits and, if so, what? I'm not saying we should; I'm asking what folks want.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.