votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on How do we handle overlap?

Parent

How do we handle overlap?

+5
−0

When I use SO I see a load of questions that would be better asked on a spin-off site. Eg SQL questions that would be way better answered on DBA.se.

But SQL is a programming language and so fits on SO as well.

It's a situation that would only ever be resolved if any question on any site could be referenced and shown on any other site "simultaneously".

So a simple suggestion would be to allow posts to be sent to a different site where they would appear as native questions. Anyone clicking then would be taken to the originating site (but it'd be cool if they could appear in-situ, embedded in the target site)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
−1

I have to agree, migrating posts was a mess.

But a solution of closing and making the poster cut and paste his question on a different site is the exact same process, just more difficult.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (3 comments)
General comments
Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

On SE I once proposed something to help the OP re-ask the question without all the cut/paste -- basically, show the on-topic info, user says "yes ask there", and we open the "create post" interface on the other site with the existing content pre-populated. There are some complications that have to be dealt with, like the user not yet having an account on that site, but if we want to go down this path I would explore something like that. If we have migration, make it less confusing.

Lundin‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

The problem is that the poster is doing a copy/paste on the different site. Just the other day, I told someone that their question was about electronics, not programming, so it should be asked on the electronics site instead. I specifically told them that part of the question was a buying/tool recommendation which would be off-topic on either site, so they should leave that out or edit it into shape. After which they copy/paste the question as is on the other site anyway...

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

Closing and making the OP repost is a little tedius. That's good. There needs to be some cost to posting in the wrong place. And, the question shouldn't just be copied exactly to the new site. It should be looked over and edited for the different target audience. Most likely, something should be worded differently, domain-specific jargon adjusted, etc. If the OP goes away instead of doing this work, oh well. Those are not the kind of users that will be a positive contribution to the site.