votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Notification dropdown doesn't consistently change items from "unread" to "read"

Notification dropdown doesn't consistently change items from "unread" to "read"

+8
−0

It appears to me that the notification system is not consistently marking as "read" something I've clicked on. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I've been trying to run some tests to see if there's a pattern, but I've not had enough of different types of notifications to see a pattern (and don't think I will).

For example, it doesn't appear to matter if it's a notification for an answer or comment. It doesn't appear to matter if it's on the same page I'm currently viewing or not.

However, when it fails, it fails spectacularly. I can click on the notification link over and over from different starting points and it will continue to claim to be "unread."

I'll continue to watch what's happening to see if I can detect a repeatable pattern. And the next time it happens at all, rather than clearing it out in frustration, I'll leave it in place and drop a note against this post to let someone know there's one in my queue they can look at.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Same tab? (8 comments)
It also happens to me sometimes, and I also couldn't figure out a clear pattern... (3 comments)
Same tab?
Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Are you visiting the links in the same tab, or are you launching other tabs? The notification doesn't "notice" that you've visited it if you open the link in another tab. (I'm not sure why. I don't think it's intentional so much as "how that code works".) If a notification is hanging around way past its "I care" date, you can clear it by clicking on "mark read" in the inbox.

JBH‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I'm in the same browser tab. You're correct that it shouldn't matter. From the engine's perspective, the activation of the link from any location should cause the database to flag the notification "read." The system is acting like it's not. I could see your point if I clicked the link in one tab, then visited another tab that had not yet been refreshed and found it still reflected an "unread" status, but that's not what I'm experiencing.

I have noticed that sometimes the change from "unread" to "read" is slow. It's as if the flag change is posted to the database on a delayed execution basis. I have no insight into how the database transactions are designed for this site, but that observation may suggest that some of them are being delayed too long or lost. That observation may have nothing at all to do with what's happeneing - it's just an observation.

celtschk‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Actually I rely on the notification not automatically getting marked read when opening in a new tab. Yes, technically I've read it. But I often don't have the time to react immediately, therefore I want it to stay “unread” until I've reacted. Yes, I could manually mark it as unread again, but that would be much more hassle (especially if the menu was closed in between and therefore the order of notifications changed).

celtschk‭, I've used that kind if feature myself. However, that should be an attribute of the second tab not yet having refreshed. Once it's refreshed, it should always reflect the current state of the notifications.

Monica Cellio‭ I have three notifications right now that won't automatically switch. I'll leave them there.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Thanks JBH‭; I'll ask devs to take a look. (I don't have the right access to investigate.)

celtschk‭ wrote over 2 years ago

JBH‭ The point is that the status did not change (and therefore there is nothing to update). And that is what I'm relying on. Indeed, IMHO a status change on refresh would worse than an immediate status change.