votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Closing Articles

Parent

Closing Articles

+12
−0

I noticed that there isn't a way to close Article type posts.

While some of the close reasons might not be very applicable to Articles, I think that at least the off-topic, outdated, and duplicate closures would be useful.

Could the ability to close Articles be added?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−5

While I can see the point here, I also don't see much benefit in allowing articles to be closed.

The only function closing has is to prevent a post being answered. That's all it does; it doesn't de-list the post or change it in any other way. Given that articles don't have answers, that makes it a no-op.

Let's explore this in more detail. We have deletion, which allows for completely off-topic or unsalvageable posts to be removed. What extra function would closure serve that you're looking for on articles? Maybe there's other functionality that would be useful that we could look at instead.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

3 comment threads

With filters (forthcoming), there's another benefit. (1 comment)
There is more to closing. (3 comments)
Duplicates and Superceded do more (3 comments)
Duplicates and Superceded do more
Moshi‭ wrote over 2 years ago

You say that the only function closing has is preventing a post from being answered, but the duplicate and superceded close reasons help show intent and link to another post.

ArtOfCode‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Moshi‭ Sure, they add a link, but my point was that they don't actually do anything or change anything about the post - all closing can do is add a message. What are you looking for it to do? I'm hoping there's some other way we can explore getting the same result with more appropriate functionality.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Code Golf might have a use case for this, though it would require cross-category duplicates too: they want to be able to mark sandbox posts, which are articles, as "finalized", meaning the challenge was posted. If you come across such a sandbox post, it'd sure be handy to be able to go straight to the posted challenge, and for the title to be amended to indicate that this sandbox post is no longer seeking review. (They probably don't want to use "duplicate" as-is but would want to write a custom reason, so for "dupe" read "anything with a required on-site link".)