votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Accessibility: What can we do better?

Parent

Accessibility: What can we do better?

+8
−1

As part of our mission to be a place where communities are fully supported, one of our goals is to make sure our site is accessible for everyone.

With that in mind... what can we do better, accessibility-wise? What should we keep in mind going forwards?

Are there any features that would improve accessibility that we can implement? Any designs that need to be tweaked (contrast-wise, for instance)?

I'll be doing my own testing, but I'm interested in seeing what other people come up, as well as provide a central location to consolidate suggestions.

While I can't guarantee that anything will be implemented in the near future, I'd like to establish a general idea of where we need to do better and what kinds of things we're lacking, so that when we do have a chance to tackle this project we're not taking shots in the dark. For now, though, this is purely an information and idea gathering project.

Please add a new answer here for every different suggestion. Thanks!

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−3

Here is a serious problem I had just in the last hour,

I just came to publish a post on Software Development CD with two images, the post wasn't published because there where no alt texts to the images but I assumed it was published because I didn't notice any error; I then moved to other tasks and then after a few minutes came back to SD CD and was surprised that the post wasn't there; I have just re-created and re published it; I had to work twice because alt texts that shouldn't have been there in the first place (in that particular rare case) caused an entire post not to be published.

So please allow people to publish posts without alt texts for images (alt texts can always be added) and also please notify people on the lack of image alt texts in a much clearer way (modal with a red background?) than the following small beige-color background message in the bottom of the edit page that I noticed only in the second time of re-creating and re-publishing the post:

It looks like you're posting an image with no alt text. Alt text is important for accessibility. Consider adding alt text to the images in your post - read this help article for details and help writing alt text.

Beyond that, please make the title area for posts clearer (more margin to separate it from the body and tags fields, for starters).
There are more things I can suggest, but I like to keep my posts "short".

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

+1. Nannyware is annoying, no matter how well intentioned. (2 comments)
Why wasn't alt text necessary here? (2 comments)
+1. Nannyware is annoying, no matter how well intentioned.
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago

+1. Nannyware is annoying, no matter how well intentioned.

Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Olin Lathrop‭ Providing additional service takes more time and there is usually no way around that. This post doesn't really say why and when alt texts would not be helpful. To me it looks like laziness at the costs of accessibility.