votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Actively investing in non niche network websites

Parent

Actively investing in non niche network websites

+2
−8

I think that the website must have some new communities in "piquant" topics to survive (to become enough well-known and contributed in the next say, 50 years).

"piquant" topics would be in my opinion (just examples, no connection to existing site proposals):

• Cosmetics
  • Chemistry
  • Biology
  • Finance
  • Accounting

The last website added to the network is about tabletop games and barely has any posts in it (it doesn't have a pager); I think it was a too of a "niche" choice and the owners of the network should actively seek website ideas in fields that may be less interesting for them personally.

The aims for this post are to:

1. Suggesting to community managers to consider replacing the current mechanism for community proposal (for example, allow just one person to start a community given relevant background in the field and in moderation)
  2. Suggesting to community members to further emphasis non niche topics so to prefer creating communities primarily on general audience topics
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

How are these topics piquant? (2 comments)
−0

It isn't clear to me exactly why these particular communities would attract more users than others.

For example we already have Cooking, which is something that concerns everyone and which lots of people around the world are interested in (as evident from the massive amounts of never-ending cooking shows on TV). If I were to guess which of our existing sites that has the highest number of enthusiasts and professionals around the world as a potential target audience, cooking would definitely be one of the safest bets. People are also highly unlikely to stop eating food in the future.

Yet this site is very inactive with just a few posts per month. So evidently there is clearly no relation between the chosen topic and the number of users actively using the site. The problem is rather that not enough people with cooking interest has found the site. There can be numerous reasons why, but the choice of topic isn't one.

We have several communities which are struggling with low activity, so it seems at least to me that we should get more restrictive with starting up new communities, rather than the other way around.

If you ask me what we should focus on, it's rather things like search engine optimization and advertising. With Codidact having a bank account now, it gives us more options to do such things.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

> So evidently there is clearly no relation between the chosen topic and the number of users actively... (5 comments)
> So evidently there is clearly no relation between the chosen topic and the number of users actively...
deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

So evidently there is clearly no relation between the chosen topic and the number of users actively using the site.

I don't think that's true in a "complex" system with many sites in "hot" topics.

celtschk‭ wrote over 2 years ago

deleted user Do you have evidence for your claim? “I don't think that's true” is not a very convincing argument.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

celtschk‭

I think I don't need to prove to you that in general, sites on topics more popular than others (cooking, software development) would have more content than websites on less popular topics (Tabletop Role-Playing Games / Outdoors) and from my experience this is the case in a much larger network such as StackExchange.

Also, generally you have no idea what's convincing to whom and how much so I suggest a bit more humbleness; you should remember that in general you speak only for yourself.

celtschk‭ wrote over 2 years ago

That escalated to ad hominem quite quickly. Well, I leave it to the other readers here to decide who of us needs to be more humble.

Anyway, it's not me whom you have to convince (though if you had convinced me, I might have helped arguing for your side), so if you really believe that you are convincing in the way you act here, well, good luck to you. However looking at the votes on your post, you don't seem to be too convincing yet.

Anyway, I'm out of this discussion now.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

celtschk‭ There is no ad hominem in pointing out the fact that in general a man speaks only for himself.