votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on How to grow all of our communities?

Parent

How to grow all of our communities?

+12
−0

As most have noticed, there's been a discussion raised on all the community metas about how to grow that particular community. It's a good question and I do believe they should be answered on community basis.

However, there are some common universal issues with all Codidact communities that I think should be addressed here at meta.codidact. Please post an answer if you have ideas or want to raise discussion about how to increase activity concerning all our communities.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Duplicate? (2 comments)
−4

When Outdoors/Photography started there was a bunch of activity and upvoting and I asked a bunch of questions. However, my participation dropped about 8 months ago for several different reasons,

1. Lack of expertise.

In either case, there is no reason to ask here when I could ask on another site where the experts know what a lithophane/Ursack is.

2. Lack of voting

• For example on Cooking, most of the questions with one upvote were upvoted by me.
    • It is not worth it to take the time to write a self answered Q&A and get a single upvote. This has happened to me on both Photography and Outdoors.
    • There are however lots of downvotes happening and when the front page is filled with downvoted questions then that tends to discourage other people from asking. This question has a lot of research but seems to suffer from English as a second language

Voting is how we pay people in a sense and right now there aren't enough people upvoting content.

3. Rudeness

• There seems to be a loud minority that thinks the problem with SE/SO was that they were not rude enough to the new users who asked poor questions. This shows when users leave comments attempting to shame new users into not posting or doing lots of research before posting. It's trying to create a reputation for harshness in an attempt to get high-quality questions that didn't work for SO and I doubt it would work here.
    • SO/SE had high expectations for moderators, here there is at least one moderator who keeps making rude comments on sites where they are not a moderator.

I can deal with the lack of expertise and voting somewhat but the rudeness is a bright red line where if it is a choice between dealing with the rude comments and not asking, I will find the answer elsewhere every single time.

Right now Codidact is not working as a place to ask questions and until that is fixed I don't see site promotion being successful.

As far as what I would like to see Codidact do to fix these problems,

• Moderators represent Codidact and as such there should be a much lower tolerance for rudeness from a moderator than a regular user.

• Culture building towards helping new users instead of slamming the door in their face.

I have two Socratic badges on Outdoors.SE and have asked more questions on Outdoors.SE/CD than any other user, but right now due to the above problems the juice is not worth the squeeze. I can think of questions to ask, but am unable to convince myself that it would be worth the effort write them out.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

This seems community-specific (10 comments)
Moderator rudeness on sites that they don't moderate (1 comment)
Moderator rudeness on sites that they don't moderate
Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago

A moderator elsewhere on Codidact should not hold any special status on other sites in the network. Such a user is more likely to be invested in the network as a whole, but that's about it. If you flag such content for moderator attention and feel that the response is inappropriate, you can escalate further by contacting the Codidact staff directly.