votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on CC BY-SA 3.0 license doesn't show

Parent

CC BY-SA 3.0 license doesn't show

+2
−0

license

my license

Why CC BY-SA 3.0 license don't show for me? I had asked a question in Physics Codidact. I had answered the question but, it was taken from someone else's answer(from Physics SE). So, I had decided to add CC BY-SA 3.0 license when I had seen in another answer. Unfortunately, I didn't find anywhere. I had visited my default license also. There was no 3.0 license.

default license

Why it is happening? Is the feature gone? Or, I am missing something, ain't I?

In this Scientific Speculation question, an user used CC 3.0 license. But, when I tried to create a post with that license (Just testing). I saw the license doesn't exist anymore.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
−0

The imported post is CC BY-SA 3.0 because that's how the source (Stack Exchange) licensed it. That notice reports a license.

The list of licenses you can choose when posting here is unrelated. That list is configurable (per-community), so if people want 3.0 to be an option we can add it. So far, the feeling has been that 4.0 is better than 3.0; I haven't heard of anybody explicitly wanting 3.0 over 4.0 yet. But if someone does, we can add it.

You might be remembering the outcry on Stack Overflow (Stack Exchange) when they changed to 4.0. The issue there wasn't the content of 4.0; it was how the company made the change. Initially they simply declared that everything that had been contributed under 3.0 was now 4.0, which was a violation of the 3.0 license. People did not appreciate having the terms of their contributions changed out from under them without their consent, so there was an outcry when the change became known. Something like a year and a half after they made the change, they fixed it to restore the original license to already-existing content, applying the new license only to new posts.

Codidact lets the author choose the license from the start; we don't think we should be changing terms on people. For similar reasons, we don't allow people to change the license after posting; content, once offered under certain terms, shouldn't be changed to a more restrictive license. We could, in principle, say that you can move from a less permissive license to a more permissive one, but that places us in the position of having to make those evaluations. As soon as a community has, say, CC and GPL both in play, that gets harder. We don't want to be the arbiters of legally-binding matters; we want to get out of the way and allow authors and communities to control their content licenses.

When you use other people's work in your posts here, you should follow our quoting and attribution guidelines regardless of where the content came from -- SE, Wikipedia, somebody's blog, or wherever else.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

License changes on StackExchange (1 comment)
General comments (2 comments)
License changes on StackExchange
Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago

The history of license changes was basically that the license of new content changed with changes in the TOS (from 2.5 to 3 in 2010 I think, and from 3.0 to 4.0 in 2018, May). Independently of this, they announced license changes in 2019 and for a too large scope. That was received badly and also factually wrong. In 2020 they corrected themselves and implemented a proper license tracking and history system.

The important thing to remember is that CC licenses are compatible only under certain circumstances. We also have to obey these rules when mixing content.