votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Allow users to sign up and/or login with a Google account

Allow users to sign up and/or login with a Google account

+5
−6

I would prefer to login to the website with a Google account instead of a standalone Codidact account; I might not be the only one.

I ask the community managers to consider adding such an option; I have actually sent an email about this about one month ago but didn't get a reply.

Currently tracked on Github

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Why? (9 comments)
or with Github account ? (1 comment)
Why?
Lundin‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Why do you want this? You didn't state any arguments.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

Lundin‭ with all due respect, I don't have to argue any argument on the matter... I don't want to discuss it, it's just something I would want to do. For me, if this feature will be added, it's good, if not, it's also good.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago

"What's the point?" was also my first thought. You, or any one user, just wanting a feature isn't a justification for spending volunteer time implementing it. You're the one that wants the feature, so you need to provide some arguments as to why this feature would be beneficial to Codidact as a whole. Currently, I don't see any. In fact, it seems it would add confusion and hassle to the sign up process.

I remember what a pain it was when you couldn't just sign up for SE, you had to create some silly third-party account first. I think it was called "Gravator" or something. It was supposed to be yet another universal login, but SE was the only place this Gravator was ever useful.

Personally I want separate accounts everywhere. It makes signing up easy, and if one is compromised, all the others don't fall like dominos.

Also we might not want to have private companies like Google tracking our users and their activity for unknown purposes. That would be an argument against such a feature. Before you know it they will make an association between the Codidact user, your gmail account, your search history, your Youtube activity and so on. Codidact users might wish to stay anonymous, at least to the public eye.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

As I've said, I might not be the only one; I don't know of any rule obligating a user to present arguments for a suggestion (although I do see the communal rationale in doing so).

I seek to use less passwords than I currently use and for me personally it would be comfortable and not a great risk to merge my Codidact account with my Google account to get one password less.

Of course, for some other accounts (such as my bank's application) I would still use a standalone account not associated with Google but for Codidact I don't find why it should be a problem, not if the community allows people to choose if they want to merge or not.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago

If it's just about not having to remember another password, you can use the same password on your Google and Codidact accounts. That's no less secure than having them be the same account.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Olin Lathrop‭ I don't think it's the same because if Codidact is cracked and my password is found, the cracker could then crack my Google account which I use to login to different websites.

deleted user Common sense: if you don't present any arguments then why would one of our non-paid volunteer devs prioritize this request? You end up at the very bottom of the pile of all feature requests.

TecBrat‭ wrote about 2 years ago

The argument for this feature is that it is a convenience for some people. If it could be optional, like some sites offer a choice between Google and Facebook, and we could do Google, Facebook and Codidact, each user could choose their own preference.

The argument against this is the coding labor to keep up two or three login systems.