votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on What information should be displayed on a network profile?

What information should be displayed on a network profile?

+9
−0

I want to design a network profile (and then possibly implement it). There was already discussion about that in Community dropdown and profile information, Understanding how posts were possibly received by the community --- network wide and there is an issue with when single site accounts should be created and a discussion about user preferences.

Here I want to present my thoughts on the network profile and ask you for your feedback on them. What would you like to have on a network profile?

1. Ways to access the network profile: from each site profile and from codidact.com/users/12345

2. Available tabs when it's another user: Profile, Activity, Vote Summary (as in the site profile)

3. Additional available tabs when it's me: Account, Edit, Preferences

4. Content of the Profile tab: top-left: a free text field and some links like for the site profile, below a list/table of all communities where the user has an account with links to their site profiles and statistics (number of questions, answers, edits, votes, reputation). Possibly sortable by name of community or stats mentioned above. On the right side the avatar and a summary (total number of questions, answers, edits, comments, votes across the whole network).

5. Content of the Activity tab: same as for the site profiles only with content from all sites of course

6. Content of the Vote Summary tab: same as for the site profiles only with content from all sites of course

7. Content of the Account tab: I'm not sure, do we have site specific accounts here or is there only a network wide account, if so, that Account tab should vanish from the site profiles and only appear on the network profile

8. Content of the Edit tab: I'm not sure, do we have the ability to have a different profile for each site?, if yes, maybe we could use the network profile as a way to copy text quickly to all site profiles if needed, but do we really need a unique profile text section/avatar for each site? If it's not unique, it should be moved from the site profile to the network profile.

9. Content of the Preferences tab: The site profiles' preferences tabs have network preferences and local community preferences. Simply split them and put the network preferences on the network profile's preferences tab.

Some questions I asked myself while designing this:

• Do Activity and Vote Summary need to be separate tabs? One could call it History instead and then have filters and sorting on it or expand the number of tabs into a larger list (questions, answers, ...).
  • Do you need to have a profile page text and avatar image that is specific for each community? Why not, I'd say, but then with potentially tens of communities this might be a nightmare to manage.
  • Is there one account (email/password) for the whole network or one account for each site?
  • What else would be nice?
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Working on QPixel? (10 comments)
Working on QPixel?
deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

I like the idea, before that you should think which project are you working on.

At first sight, I thought you were working on codidact.com but I worry there's no backend in codidact.com even codidact.org has no backend either. Only QPixel has backend but the problem is, QPixel project is managed for communities for networks. But u can call data of another community, iirc. But working on QPixel isn’t totally good idea for network profile since QPixel is for communities.

Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago

deleted user I thought that codidact as a whole is powered by a single QPixel instance and there is only a single database containing all the information currently. That's why making a network profile should be doable by adding some code to QPixel and then asking the Codidact admins to accept it and update the code running on the servers. But maybe I'm wrong. You seem to say that every community has it's own QPixel instance running for it and they cannot really communicate with each other, right?

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Trilarion‭ is correct. The network of communities at codidact.com is powered by a single instance of qpixel backed by a single database, and so a network profile is possible, just as network-wide user preferences are possible.

Other networks using the qpixel software would have their own qpixel instances with their own databases, and we don't currently have APIs that would allow an uber-profile across multiple networks. (Someday I hope we'll have some integration points, so networks could cooperate if they wanted to, but that's way down the road, I think.)

Trilarion‭ I didnt mean it. Aren’t you trying to build something like https://stackexchange.com/ ? That's a custom site which is "separated" from other SE's community. But all data are under an umbrella (database). To build something like SE.com, the code should be different from QPixel.(?)

deleted user on SE, every site is separate and there's network-level integration. I don't know if they actually have separate databases or are doing multi-tenancy inside one DB, but each site is kept separate. That's why on SE you have different profile IDs and can have different profile contents (name, about, blog link, etc) on each site. Here on Codidact, there's one database and communities are differentiated within that by a "community" column in all the tables for posts, users, etc. So building a network-wide profile is different here from on SE, and should be easier here.

Yes! But do we want to have network-wide profile in each community? If no, than QPixel won't be our choice. Unless why we want to show all data of other communities in a specific community?

That's why I was trying to say from the beginning.

Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago

deleted user "But do we want to have network-wide profile in each community?" That is a misunderstanding. That is not what is wanted here. There should be only one network-wide profile and it should be separate from/on top of all community profiles. QPixel should be able to do it (at least I hope so and I guess I will find out) and anyway there is no other software that could do it. Codidact is powered by QPixel. I guess it's either QPixel or nothing. There may be static sites (https://codidact.com/ might be one, not sure) but that simply means they need to be served through QPixel as well.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Trilarion‭ QPixel maintains https://x.codidact.com/ not anything else, i hope It's clearer now, indeed.

We should access the database from another project (Let's call it project X) the project X isn’t available in the Codidact organization now so we should have that. If you want to take a deeper look into it then talk with Luap or Art

I repeat what I said earlier, https://codidact.com/ and https://codidact.org/ has no backend(there's some other sites they also don't have backend).

If codidact.com/users/##### can't serve a database-driven page (I was assuming it could), then we can create users.codidact.com and do it there. Or something similar. I don't think where to host it is going to be a big factor here. codidact.com doesn't have a back end now, but that doesn't mean nothing under it ever can. I'll defer to Art and Luap42, but I'm confident that having a community-agnostic URL is not going to be a problem.

Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

deleted user I understand you now. That is a problem that can surely be solved one way or another, especially since nothing is really done yet and I'm basically waiting for Art to give feedback on another issue first. QPixel as a software itself can produce network profiles. There seem to be some special configurations of how Codidact uses QPixel. They might need to be adapted if the network profiles that one day might be part of QPixel might be used on Codidact... so a bit longer way to go.