votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Request for a Member Story feature which helps to highlight a Codidact member's topic expertise

Request for a Member Story feature which helps to highlight a Codidact member's topic expertise

+4
−5

I learned today that another Q&A site on the web will soon be ditching its Developer Story feature in which members of that site maintain a chronological log of their skills, achievements, certificates, education, professional roles, volunteer roles, accreditation etc. in a specific subject-related context.

Is there a possibility that Codidact Software Development might reproduce this soon-to-be-ditched feature?

Or even that the feature might be adapted / enhanced such that it could also complement a Codidact Member's Profile on other suitable Codidact Q&A Topics, not least:

• Electrical Engineering
  • Languages & Linguistics
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Physics

etc.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

What's a "developer story"? (9 comments)
What would this add in addition to user profiles? (8 comments)
What would this add in addition to user profiles?
Moshi‭ wrote about 2 years ago

What would this add in addition to user profiles? You say that it would complement profiles, but what could a user use such a feature for that would be different from just putting it in their profile itself?

Rounin‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

Thank you for your question, @Moshi. A Member Story feature will help to highlight a Codidact member's topic expertise. It's an easily scanned chronological list of achievements and experience - easy to visually digest and comprehend, easy for a third party to scan past entries which are less relevant and easy for the same third party to read entries which are more relevant in more detail.

Lundin‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

Why would Codidact have that? The purpose of Codidact isn't to provide a CV, or to have it's users hired by external parties, or serve as some poor man's LinkedIn. I strongly oppose any attempt to turn any of the sites here into social media.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 2 years ago

I think you mean something more curated than automated, right? Could you say something more about what this might look like on Codidact? For example, are you thinking of a CV like on SO, or something more like "posts I made that I want to highlight"? Per-community, or network-wide? (We're planning to add a network profile.)

Rounin‭ wrote about 2 years ago

@Lundin - We are right to seek to determine whether proposed Feature X would help positively grow the Codidact community or not.

I think: "Why would Codidact have that, if such a feature would do nothing to attract the kind of people Codidact wants to see regularly visiting and contributing to the Codidact knowledge base and helping other Codidact members?" is a perfectly reasonable question.

I also think: "Why wouldn't Codidact have that, if such a feature would help a great deal in attracting the kind of people Codidact wants to see regularly visiting and contributing to the Codidact knowledge base and helping other Codidact members?" is a no less reasonable question.

I have proposed this feature, but I cannot say with any confidence whether it would help to positively grow the Codidact community - I am happy to leave that underlying question to others who are much more familiar with Codidact than I am at present.

Rounin‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

@MonicaCellio

Re: "I think you mean something more curated than automated, right?"

Yes. Curated.

Re: "[...] are you thinking of a CV like on SO [...] ?"

A chronological summary of expertise, yes. (To include highlighted posts too.)

Re: "Per-community, [...] ?"

Yes, per community.

Rounin‭ wrote about 2 years ago

@Lundin - I've given this some further thought:

I think a Member Story feature would make Codidact stickier and would attract a larger number of people to contribute regularly to Codidact.

I suppose one way to test that hypothesis is to try it out for a limited period and see what the reception is.

Lundin‭ wrote about 2 years ago · edited about 2 years ago

Rounin‭n "if such a feature would help a great deal in attracting the kind of people Codidact wants to see" And what kind of people is that, more exactly? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty darn sure it isn't headhunter recruiters, HR departments in commercial companies and misc LinkedIn fans... You need to provide some actual arguments regarding why this would be useful.