votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Why are comments hidden by default?

Parent

Why are comments hidden by default?

+5
−3

Why are comments deprecated to the point that none are visible without having to move away from the page?

With page loads and mouse clicks, less is MORE.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Can you clarify "have to move away from the page"? (3 comments)
−3

I agree that it should be easier to see comments than it is, but one difference here from Elsewhere is that we are trying to de-emphasize comments. As Elsewhere has abundantly demonstrated, if you don't reign in comments, they get used as answers, chit chat, and to circumvent closing of questions.

Comments here are strictly for working with the post author to clarify the post or make it better. That also means they should be removed after suggested changes have been made to the post, or the author decides not to make any changes.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Not sure about the second part. (2 comments)
Not sure about the second part.
Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 2 years ago

One reason we added threaded comments is that, regardless of intent or active moderation, we know from other sites that comments will sometimes be used for discussions. Sometimes those discussions are worth keeping (as background for an edit, for instance, or to alert people who would otherwise start that discussion already that it's been done). Somewhere Else realized that just deleting them didn't work either and added "move to chat". Codidact took a different approach: comments aren't nearly as invasive if they're threaded and collapsible (by thread). So that 15-comment discussion about gdb can happen over there without preventing you from asking the author which version of C++ the code is written for.

KalleMP‭ wrote almost 2 years ago

Threading seems like a useful compromise but I must say it is intrusive here when you have to leave the question page to read or engage in the comments. Punitive irritation is not the way to get people to respect a system. People are quite familiar with threading systems and the normal user interface means when you locate and click on the expand button the thread expands a level. While writing this comment I am unable to view the post I am commenting on <<<<<< Sorry I went to check what level of effort is required and found an expand arrow for the question and answer I would love it if there was a USER setting that would not collapse stuff that has been open unless I ask it to. This is not MacOS this is a user friendly site that leaves the visitor in control of their destiny hopefully.

As seen on other sites, it is useful to consider what visitors want (as in what they commonly do) rather than insist the UI will be dictated as a result of profit calculations from A/B testing.