votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Option to sort answers by Age

Parent

Option to sort answers by Age

+5
−1

Currently answers can be sorted by Score or Activity:

Buttons to sort answers by Score or Active

I'd like to be able to also sort them by Age. Would this be useful to anyone else?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Why should it be useful to anyone else? (2 comments)
−5

The order that answers (and comments) are displayed should be chronological so that the reader can follow how things went by default. If the user wants to rely on consensus or popularity to determine what order to read information then he can select "Score" or "Active" (sic.)

The chronological order should not need any justification besides the fact that this is how threads are displayed in thousands of sites around the internet. The user EXPECTS this to be the order unless they take some action.

EDIT: I keep getting the feeling that the users wishes are always secondary here at Codidact. Relatively trivial UI features are ignored in an effort to force conformity. We live in a world where there are many types of users, there are almost as many use cases. For essentially no coding cost (the button already occurs in the post listing at least on meta) a requested feature could be added that at least two people would use. Instead top down didacts are quoted as good things. The trend feels like Apple and SE where the 'owners' decide what the users WANT and the users have no say in the matter.

I would like to point out that the top down control is a result of commercial marketing interests and propaganda techniques which were supposed to be ABSENT from Codidact, why does the heavy handed "we are the boss" and know how you want to use the system prevail here?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

3 comment threads

Listening to users (5 comments)
I agree comments should remain chronological (1 comment)
Codidact isn't a forum (and even forums sort by popularity) (2 comments)
Listening to users
trichoplax‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Relatively trivial UI features are ignored in an effort to force conformity

The downvotes on this answer appear to be an objection to making the sort by Age the default. That's from other Meta users. The question itself has net positive votes, which suggests Meta users would like to see the option to sort by Age, but to keep the default as sort by Score. That doesn't seem like a no, just users expressing support for the idea and their opinion on what the default should be.

We live in a world where there are many types of users, there are almost as many use cases

I definitely agree with this. I'm in favour of customisation. I'd like to see the option to change the default sort order per user per site, so I can set it to my preferred sort by Score on sites that are about getting answers to questions, and my preferred sort by Active on Code Golf and here on Meta, so I can see the latest answers and edits in an ongoing competition or Meta discussion. That would then leave me free to switch temporarily to sort by Age when I want to go back and review the history in order. I don't know if this customisation has been requested anywhere yet.

I have recently raised a large number of bugs and feature requests on Meta and I like the fact that the community can vote to show which ones are more important to them, to help prioritise work. As the work will be done by a small team of unpaid volunteers I didn't expect to see any changes in the short term, just to raise the requests so that prioritisation could be done for the future. However, I've already seen several changes implemented, which makes me feel it's worth putting the time into raising things.

Not all of my Meta posts have a good response - I have a mixture of upvotes, downvotes, and some with no votes at all. Having the community indicate which of my posts are worth prioritising means I don't need to overthink things and can just raise everything I think of, without trying to guess if other people will want the same thing. I like the way this works.

I haven't seen an objection to making changes. Comments from Codidact staff on my posts have been positive and seem interested in finding out what is wanted. They are volunteering and don't have full time hours available. It seems like they are making changes as they find the time, rather than being controlling.

As a specific example, I received a comment that was positive about adding in an extra sorting button in another context (about sorting search results - seems very similar to this feature request).

In addition to the requests I've raised and seen implemented quickly, I can also see others have been added to the GitHub issues list and are being tagged and prioritised.

The priority order settled on is never going to please everyone (we all have different things that are important to us) but as it's open source anyone is free to work on something that is not at the top of the priority list. I don't know the Ruby programming language so I haven't been able to work on things I'd like to see implemented, but I did raise a very simple pull request for a typo and it was accepted quickly despite not being high priority.

No one has said no to adding this sort by Age button, and as you point out it is already implemented for the posts list so most of the code needed already exists. So if you don't want to wait for it to work its way up the priority list it might be something you can do yourself without necessarily needing to be very familiar with Ruby.