votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Creating new Discord channels

Parent

Creating new Discord channels

+1
−1

I've been looking at the Codidact Communities Discord channels (see the join us in chat link in the right hand panel of this page).

Is it possible for Codidact Communities Discord users to create new channels? Currently there is a channel per community, but I was wondering if there is the option of creating more narrowly defined topic channels. I couldn't see a way to, but I'm not familiar with Discord.

My reason for wondering is that if it were possible, I would be likely to create a new channel at some point to allow discussion of a specific question. For example, on Code Golf Codidact there is a challenge type called king-of-the-hill, where players' submissions of code compete directly against each other in a game. Such a competition can potentially develop over a period of time, with new strategies and counter-strategies emerging as players respond to each others' innovations. It would be useful to have a channel where players of a specific king of the hill contest could discuss their ideas over time.

Would the ability to create new channels also be useful for other communities?

Is this an ability that should be made available to anyone, or should it be restricted to a trusted group (perhaps moderators) so someone looking to create a new channel requests it from that group?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−1

We can't grant the ability broadly without also granting destructive abilities, as another answer says. If any community wants more channels under its section, admins can create them -- just let us know.

I haven't used Discord threads much, but when they first showed up, threads would be auto-deleted (or auto-hidden?) after some period of inactivity. I have been told in a comment that this isn't true now and that older threads are archived in a visible place. I believe anybody can create threads in Discord, so you could try that as another answer suggests. Within Discord, I'd suggest channels for more enduring topics and threads for more transient topics. But also consider on-site comments.

Threaded comments can be an option -- probably not workable if you expect hundreds of messages (at some point rendering is going to slow down), but I've seen threads with a few dozen comments that had no problem. You'd need to think about where to attach that comment thread; you want the thread to be discoverable by the people who care and not flood an innocent bystander with pings. Strategy for a specific KotH challenge? That challenge sounds like the right place. Strategy for KotH in general? Maybe there's an applicable meta post.

Because Codidact comments are threaded and don't all pile up right under the post, I don't think we should particularly care if a constructive thread is long or long-lived. It's not in the way, so if it's in an appropriate place and it's serving the needs of the participants (and not degenerating and attracting flags), I don't personally see a problem. (I haven't consulted other team members or moderators; that's just my own opinion.)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Threads are not auto-deleted, but auto-archived (2 comments)
Threads are not auto-deleted, but auto-archived
Moshi‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Threads are not auto-deleted, but auto-archived. It used to be that there was a separate "archived" tab, but it's just put into "older threads" now.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 1 year ago

Moshi‭ thanks for letting me know. I remember threads just plain disappearing when the feature first showed up, but maybe I just didn't know where to look for them. I've avoided threads since then because of that.