votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Can't click notification icon

Can't click notification icon

+1
−1

Clicking on the notification icon:

Doesn't do anything. I noticed this just now. It's probably been a month or more since the last time I had a notification. Back then it worked as expected (created a dropdown with individual notifications).

What happens now is absolutely nothing, as if I didn't click the mouse at all. I tried holding the mouse button down for a second. That didn't change anything.

I think the notification is for a new comment on the EE site, but clicking causes nothing to happen no matter which site I'm at, including here on meta.

Monica said:

click in the white area below the number/text instead of directly on the icons.

That works. Thanks. I found that clicking above the number and icon also works. Apparently you have to click in the box, but not directly on the number or icon.

It's weird that I never ran afoul of this before. Of course as soon as it appeared not to work, I was extra careful to click in the middle directly on the icons.

As a separate but related question, is there some way to see pending notifications other than clicking on the icon? I looked around in my profile but didn't see anything.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Bug is a dupe, but notifications history isn't (6 comments)
Bug is a dupe, but notifications history isn't
Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 1 year ago

This is a known bug with a workaround: click in the white area below the number/text instead of directly on the icons. It's aggravating and we have a fix in process.

I didn't close this as a duplicate because of the part at the end. We don't have another way to see all notifications, and having a page for that seems like it would be handy. (Somewhere Else, I would sometimes load that page and then use control-F to find something in it, which doesn't work so well in a dropdown widget.)

trichoplax‭ wrote over 1 year ago

If you scroll down in your notifications in the drop down panel you will eventually get to the bottom, where it links to a dedicated notifications page. I found this useful recently for finding something that I knew I'd been notified about a long time ago, but couldn't remember which Codidact community it was in.

So a notifications page exists, but this conversation demonstrates that it is difficult to find. Would it be helpful to have a link at the top of the list of notifications as well as at the bottom? Having it at the bottom is useful for people who have looked through all the recent notifications and now realise they need to open the notifications page to see further back into history, but for someone who already knows they need the dedicated notifications page it is tedious to scroll all the way down just to find the link (try it - it's a long way to scroll).

Monica, is this also relevant to the GitHub issue you opened recently? I don't know if the existence of https://meta.codidact.com/users/me/notifications affects your decision on whether that issue is important?

In addition to an extra link at the top of the notifications drop down panel, would it also be useful to have a link from the user profile? That's where Olin looked for them, and I'd find it a natural place to look too.

As there is already a list of sections along the top of the profile page, it seems a logical place to have a notifications section.

Would it be better to edit this question to be about adding additional links to the notifications page, or to ask that as a separate question so that the bulk of this one can be closed as a duplicate?

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 1 year ago · edited over 1 year ago

Huh -- I never noticed that trichoplax‭! Or if I did, it was a long time ago and I then forgot about it. Thanks for pointing it out. Since the page already exists, I think we should find ways to make it more prominent. Making it another section on the profile, for yourself only (like preferences, editing, etc), makes sense to me. I closed that GH issue after I realized it wasn't just one URL that was different; maybe we should look at the URLs or maybe it's fine, but either way, let's look at adding a tab or link (with the current URL) to the profile itself.

Note that this is a global inbox, which might be why it wasn't put under the profile in the first place. (It probably predates network preferences.) It should be part of the network profile when that exists; I don't know whether it should be a tab on each community (could be confusing?) or just a link, but we can figure something out.