votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Proposal: remove Twitter from profiles

Proposal: remove Twitter from profiles

+10
−2

Seeing the option to list a Twitter profile on one's profile leaves a bad taste in my mouth given recent developments on that site.

I don't think it deserves to be promoted above other social media websites. Why have an input box for your Twitter handle, but not your Truth Social handle? (I'm being facetious to make the point).

Discord kinda makes sense, since the chat channels are on there, but I think Twitter has lost any special status it may have once had.

Proposal:

• Kill the input box.
  • Add all previously input Twitter profile info to the ends of people's profiles (to avoid the problem of people not being able to modify/remove them once the input box is gone...).

e.g.

Twitter: [@previouslyInputProfileName](https://twitter.com/previouslyInputProfileName)
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

We originally envisioned free-form links, so you could specify the platform and the username/link/wha... (4 comments)
We originally envisioned free-form links, so you could specify the platform and the username/link/wha...
Monica Cellio‭ wrote 10 months ago

We originally envisioned free-form links, so you could specify the platform and the username/link/whatever -- choose Twitter, GitHub, Tumblr, whatever. I'm not sure what happened to that idea. (As it turns out, this is what Mastodon does, though I hadn't seen that yet back in 2019 or 2020 when we were designing this.)

At the time, Twitter was the main way people were reaching out to us off-site and, as you say, Discord was and still is what we use for chat. So these choices were expedient. Doesn't mean we can't change them; I'm just providing some history.

da5nsy‭ wrote 10 months ago

That all makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the history.

luap42‭ wrote 9 months ago

Monica Cellio‭ oops I totally didn't see your comment when writing my answer, so sorry for the inadvertent plagiarism :D

Monica Cellio‭ wrote 9 months ago

luap42‭ no plagiarism involved! It's better to have it in an answer where it's demonstrably more visible. :-) I'm glad you added it.