votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Assessing the 5 tag limit

Parent

Assessing the 5 tag limit

+5
−1

We currently have a limit of 5 tags per question.

Should we keep this the same or would any changes be of benefit?

For example:

• Should the limit be higher or lower?
  • Should there be different limits for different contexts:
    • Different communities?
    • Different categories?
    • Different post types?
  • Is there a need for a limit?
History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Origin of the tag limit (3 comments)
−0

Such a tag limit seems low to me, though I can't think of any specific cases in which more than 5 tags would apply. However, I'm not sure what the use in limiting this upfront is; I'm not sure it solves any problems that aren't better addressed in other ways. In case there actually is a need for more than 5 tags, this limit is nothing but an annoying barrier. In other cases, in which there's not a need for that many tags, but a user attempts to apply an excess amount nonetheless, that's an indicator that the post is in need of an edit anyway. As such, a large amount of tags serves as a sign that the post in question somehow needs an improvement. That is not a bad thing.

Completely removing the limit opens the system to abuse. That is not a good idea, but the limit doesn't have to be this low to prevent that. Increasing it to 10 should satisfy all the needs. There are possibly some cases where 6-10 tags might apply; more than that, seems too unlikely at this moment.

I suggest increasing the limit to 10 tags, and rather show a warning when a user attempts to add more than 3-4 tags; this ensures that one's never hard limited for when the need actually arises, and that users are cautioned and taught to attempt using fewer tags.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

What types of abuse follow from no limit? (6 comments)
What types of abuse follow from no limit?
trichoplax‭ wrote 9 months ago

I can't think of an example of a problem that could arise if there were no tag limit. What sort of abuse were you expecting?

• Mass creation of new tags.
  • Extra server load (this should be handled by the server anyway, similar to max post length, and other basic defenses against malicious usage).
  • Abusing tags for visibility

Would it help to have a slowly increasing limit like a trust level?

So for example, when a new user joins they can only add 5 tags, but after they gain trust over time they can add 10, and if they don't misuse that they later get 20.

So there is not necessarily a tag limit per post, but there is a tag limit per user per post.

Andreas from the dark caverns‭ wrote 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

I'm not sure what the point is about that. I think a slightly larger limit suffices. Introducing a new privilege for this seems unneeded to me. And I'm not sure why one would ever need 20 tags. At that point, I'd say there's probably something that's gone wrong, and a discussion on Meta is best. Actually using 20 tags likely isn't the right solution.

There are a few cases where the number of tags is not the problem, just being at the limit is a problem (as it prevents adding a moderator-only tag, a proposal tag, or undeleting a tag). Maybe it would be sufficient to just have a limit for users, and an exception for those 3 cases.