votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Problems i have encountered/seen in the last week

Parent

Problems i have encountered/seen in the last week

+0
−8

I am a new user to Codidact that just migrated from StackOverflow and there are some things I would like to get across, besides this website being smaller, but we already knew what we were getting into.

StackOverflow's equivalent here has been divided into 2 categories (Power Users/Software Development) which to me makes no sense while your community is already scattered to the cosmic winds.

Everything looks desolate. The first question I clicked on was 8 years old and had 1 answer. Scientific Speculation has tons of question which just don't make sense, I think it is because of the confusion caused by the name, since the community has nothing to do with science, but world building.

People constantly downvote for not "agreeing" with proposals, I thought the use of votes was to determine whether the question was well formulated, included information needed, not have multiple questions, all the bells and whistles it takes for this website to work. But it seems that at least partially are used just to express their opinion on the question's topic itself, and talking about it like it makes any sense.

All of this to end with my suggestions:

• Change the Scientific Speculation name to something more fitting, not involving the word science.
  • Remove off-topic question that clutter the good ones, especially if they were imported.
  • Educate people a little more on vote etiquette (i.e. just because you don't understand why someone wants to know X, or if you think they are being mean, don't downvote, leave a comment, but I don't think a downvote is merited)
  • Add a system where people can just click a button and be transported to one of the recent/no answer questions that need to be answered/edited.

Update : So I ended up updating this rant to more closely get attention to the issues I have been seeing on the website. And to use this rant for something good, I hope this gets seen.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Recent edit (2 comments)
−3

Just like on SE, things are vastly different between individual sites. You say you came from StackOverflow. Our most similar site is Software Development. It does seem to have reasonable activity, and there aren't any 8 year old questions there. That's because we deliberately didn't import existing questions from elsewhere. I also looked high, low, and sideways, and didn't see any mention of cabbages.

Early on, a few sites were initialized by copying content from elsewhere. That turned out to be a mistake. Just as you say, it's annoying to go into a question only to find it was asked 8 years ago, and not even here. Search engines also penalize sites for duplicate content. Some of that may be spilling over to other Codidact sites that didn't import any content. The few sites that did import content are consistently near the bottom in activity.

So no, we shouldn't import more content. We should be getting rid of what is here. While I think that importing is now widely seen as a mistake, only a little has been done about it.

You also need to do your part. That starts with actually understanding the organizational structure, both where you came from and here at Codidact. You seem to have confusion between Stack Overflow and Stack Exchange, and with that same confusion now here.

If you want to be taken seriously, it also helps to write clearly. That starts with thinking about what you want to say clearly first. Non-sentences, not capitalizing the word "I", and generally flaunting very basic rules of English writing don't help. We realize English may not be everyone's first language here, but I'm talking about the very basic rules that anyone that can write any English at all would have to know.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Unapreciation for making fun of english not being my main language (8 comments)
Unapreciation for making fun of english not being my main language
Or4ng3h4t‭ wrote 8 months ago

Okey i do agree with the first part but criticizing my english for being a second hand language its not ok, i dont and will never capitalize a random word becuase its norm, its dumb.

you didnt find anything on cabbages ? i wonder if thats because theres a lack of a search function (https://scientific-speculation.codidact.com/posts/287274) here it is

Having a question here that was 8 years old, and with multiple different answers would be fenomenal for the website, what does it matter if the search engine punishes for duplicated work ? are you trying to spread knowledge or make a name for yourselvs ?Ofc they are at the bottom in activity, i can bet writing has never been a lot active because in SE it hasnt been either.

Idk what else to say, the site seems dead and i wont be using it at all due to lack of good questions, or answers withing the same day, let alone the same hour

trichoplax‭ wrote 8 months ago

I have 2 issues with the mention of English in this answer:

1. We don't have a requirement that a post's English have any particular minimum quality. We have the ability to edit each other's posts so that we can each add our own respective strengths.
  2. English being an author's second language is not an indicator that their English should be expected to be of lower quality. Many people with English as a second language have a better grasp of English than most people I know who have English as a first language. When discussing someone's grasp of English it is better to address problems directly, rather than via discussion of whether they learned it first or second.

I make these as general points. For this specific case, I don't get the impression that the sentence structure reflects the author's grasp of English, but simply their frustration. Most people don't rant in perfect prose. It might have been better phrased as "People may take you more seriously if you avoid ranting".

trichoplax‭ wrote 8 months ago

Having said this, I don't believe the reference to English as a first language was intended with malice. Only Olin can know this for certain, but my impression is that it was intended to soften the English usage advice, by indicating understanding. It appears to have had the opposite effect, which I'm not surprised at, but I believe it was intended well.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote 8 months ago

i dont and will never capitalize a random word becuase its norm, its dumb.

That's not a good strategy. Every language has its quirks. Some developed over time and can seem arbitrary and silly today. However that doesn't mean you get to ignore them if you want to be taken seriously. Capitalizing the first letter of each sentence and the word "I" is just how it's done. Anything else looks very out of place, and is rather annoying to fluent English readers. It makes the writer look sloppy, and also comes across somewhat as "Eh, you peons don't matter, so I can write whatever way is most expedient to me whether it's annoying to you or not."

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote 8 months ago

My comment about English not being everyone's first language was meant to show that we understand, and give some slack accordingly. The occasional misspelling or wrong tense is forgiven, especially when the writer appears to be trying. We understand spelling and grammar rules can be tricky.

However, some rules are so basic and universal in English that anyone who can write any English at all certainly knows them. Capitalizing the first word of sentences and the word "I" are two of those. Not following such basic rules shows that the writer isn't trying, and possibly thumbing his nose at us.

samcarter‭ wrote 8 months ago · edited 8 months ago

Or4ng3h4t‭ "i dont and will never capitalize a random word becuase its norm, its dumb." -> using standard English makes it much easier for non-fluent speakers to understand you. In particular leaving out apostrophes is quite confusing. A fluent speaker might just accept it as some quirk of yours and keep reading, but for non-fluent speakers, this can be very confusing. They might not recognise the words and then try to look them up -- completely in vain. Please reconsider your stance.

Also https://static.demilked.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/mildly-amusing-subreddit-6.jpeg

Karl Knechtel‭ wrote 8 months ago

To be totally blunt, OP: if you are coming up with phrases like "which to me makes no sense while your community is already scattered to the cosmic winds.", then your grasp of English is perfectly good enough for writing on a Q&A site. I can't take "this isn't my first language" seriously as an excuse, at that point, for most of the typos and other simple errors in the original version of the post. Especially if you are familiar with the goal of building a high-quality reference library (like Stack Exchange sites promote themselves as), you should understand the importance of putting effort into your writing, and of writing as if you are actually writing rather than speaking casually.

Lundin‭ wrote 8 months ago

Or4ng3h4t‭ Except I isn't a random word, it is a word with very special rules in English. As a non-English native, this was actually something I learnt in English class during 4th grade, at the age of ten. I don't recall any cabbage lessons though... And even before 4th grade, I learnt how to capitalize sentences and apply punctuation, since my native language is using a (modified) Latin alphabet and therefore coincidentally have exactly the same grammar rules for this as English.