votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Is it okay to ask a question because you're too lazy/bored to figure it out yourself?

Parent

Is it okay to ask a question because you're too lazy/bored to figure it out yourself?

+6
−0

It is generally considered good practice to try and do your own research to find the answer to a question before you post it.

There are some questions where the asker is just not capable of finding the answer on their own, no matter how much research they do on their own. As a contrived example, let's say that color of traffic lights in Elbonia is not documented anywhere, and Elbonia has currently closed all borders. A person wondering what color the traffic lights are in Elbonia cannot find it no matter what they do. Their only hope is to ask here, and perhaps a kind Elbonian will volunteer the facts.

A second class is questions where the asker could in theory figure it out, but it would be very burdensome. For example, perhaps the answer requires advanced degrees and a decades of reading literature, whereas the asker is an illiterate child. If the asker tried to answer it their own, they would have to dedicate a lifetime to it, and might easily still fail.

Then we have the spectrum going all the way down to questions where the answer could be easily found with "a basic 5 second google", or even questions where the answer is obvious by simply reading the question back.

I'm asking about questions where:

• The answer is readily available and can be found with "a 5 second google"
  • The asker knows that it is readily available
  • A quick skim of these answer(s) elsewhere would immediately tell you exactly what the answer is, if you are proficient in the subject matter
  • The asker is not proficient, and finds the material hard to understand or difficult to read. Perhaps they have spent some reasonable, short amount of time trying to read it (like 30 minutes), failed to comprehend it, and decided that figuring it out would likely take considerable effort (hours or days). Besides mere effort, the asker may also find the material too boring to attempt to get through (don't laugh - people ask sometimes about laws and standards!).

The asker is basically asking the community to summarize/ELI5 a topic, because they themselves feel like it would be too much work to go through it.

1. Is it generally discouraged to ask questions on Codidact if an answer can be found elsewhere on the internet or in a book?
  2. Is there some minimum level of effort the asker must make, and if so, what is it?
  3. Is it bad to "use the community as a resource" in this way?

I specifically draw the line at minutes vs. hours because I think this is the useful place to draw it in practice. Asking a question already takes a few minutes, so it is a natural baseline for measuring effort.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Then tomorrow, he'll ask for another fish. And you give it to him then too, so he comes back the next day. And the next. And at some point it's no longer fun for you to give him fish, so you don't, but someone else does. And other people see that this is where the fish are given away, so they congregate here with their fish requests, and meanwhile everyone who actually respects their time and wants to do something to help these fishless souls that's less ephemeral finds that their fishing dojo has been overrun with fish-flingers and their hungry clients.

There are so many places on the internet where help vampires can beg for help and empathetic marks can feed them. The value of a Q&A site, as distinct from a Reddit or a Discord or a Facebook group, is putting in the extra effort to build a resource that is valuable for more than one person at a time. Both askers and answerers should buy into this mission, or they're not doing Q&A; they're doing help forum.

Expecting askers to do some research before posting a question is a vital part of how they demonstrate that they buy into this mission. We should not encourage lazy askers because they lead to degrading a Q&A site into a copy of r/eli5. If you want r/eli5, go to r/eli5, and spend all your days there. This place should be different.

As for where the line for ‘minimum effort’ should be drawn, I expect that to be decided on a community-by-community basis. But I think drawing it all the way at ‘no effort required’ means you're surrendering the fundamental thing that makes Q&A sites a good idea.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Fish aphorism may be oversimplified (3 comments)
Fish aphorism may be oversimplified
matthewsnyder‭ wrote 7 months ago

I of course appreciate the concern illustrated in the widely quoted fish aphorism, but it's ultimately just a saying, not natural law. Many (most?) things I learned, had someone holding my hand at first. I rarely had the good fortune of having a wise mentor who would "teach me to fish". Instead, eventually I had enough of always being dependent on other people's fish, and taught it to myself.

To stretch the analogy, even fishermen buy salmon at the supermarket sometimes, because you don't always have the time to go fish, sometimes the fish don't bite, and not every kind of fishing is all the same so most people don't have the experience or equipment to fish for every type of fish in every type of water.

Anyway, the point is that maybe we shouldn't take it for granted that if we just answer people's questions, they will never learn to answer their own. It seems contradicted by real world observation.

matthewsnyder‭ wrote 7 months ago

I guess I found a more succinct way to restate this: If you try to teach a hungry man to fish, he will simply get mad, because he is too hungry to learn a craft.

r~~‭ wrote 7 months ago

even fishermen buy salmon at the supermarket sometimes

And that's fine! You go to the supermarket to buy fish. You go to the fishing dojo to learn to fish. You don't go to the fishing dojo to ask for fish, because that's not what the fishing dojo is for, and the people who go to the fishing dojo are there because they don't want to be part of a supermarket; they want to be part of a dojo.

It seems like you're presupposing that Codidact should be a one-stop shop for all of a person's learning needs. I reject that. Codidact should be a Q&A site, and it's up to a person whether they want to learn at a Q&A site, or somewhere else, or both at different times depending on their available energy.