votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Expanding a comment thread changes the width of some posts

Expanding a comment thread changes the width of some posts

+1
−0

When a comment thread is expanded, the width of the post it is attached to in some cases increases. This seems to be rare (most posts do not change width when their comment threads are expanded), so I am only raising this for reference in case investigating it highlights something that needs to be fixed.

I would consider this very low priority.

An example of a question which shows effects on both paragraph layout and image size:

Before opening a comment thread

The content of the question before expanding a comment thread

After opening a comment thread

The content of the question after expanding a comment thread

The user card shifts to the right accordingly.

The paragraphs change their word wrapping, with some words jumping up onto a previous line. Note the inconsistent placement of the word "inconsistency" in the 4th paragraph up from the bottom of the post. This can also cause the height of the post to decrease if the word wrapping now requires fewer lines.

Wide images are displayed at post width, so they also get a little wider when a comment thread is expanded. Since they are displayed at a fixed aspect ratio, this also makes them a little taller.

These two effects both cause the height of the post to change, so if either of them is triggered by the width change then this causes the page to jump vertically by a small amount when a comment thread is expanded.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

I suspect it has something to do with the content of the comments -- specifically, either the code bl... (1 comment)
I suspect it has something to do with the content of the comments -- specifically, either the code bl...
Monica Cellio‭ wrote 5 months ago

I suspect it has something to do with the content of the comments -- specifically, either the code blocks or the URL making the comment wide and that somehow affecting the post. Or maybe I'm completely wrong -- the challenge of insufficient data points so far.