votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Auto-navigate from post preview to post source

Auto-navigate from post preview to post source

+2
−0

I'd like to be able to double-click in a specific location in the preview of the post I'm writing (or editing), and have the site scroll up to the post source (input box), and scroll and move the cursor to the location in the source responsible for that part in the preview.

It's important that a single click isn't sufficient; that would be extremely annoying, for instance when attempting to mark some text in the preview, or when a finger accidentally meets the screen, on mobile (I have painful experience with that elsewhere).

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Underlying problem (5 comments)
Underlying problem
trichoplax‭ wrote 3 months ago

Do you have a desire for this particular solution, or are you looking for any solution to your underlying problem?

Is your underlying problem that you want to be able to easily edit while reading through the preview?

Would a side by side view that scrolls the raw text in step with the preview be a suitable solution on desktop? Would a similar approach on mobile work if it were above and below rather than side by side?

I ask because personally I would expect to prefer this to having to jump back and forth between raw text and preview.

trichoplax‭ Both; which is one reason I'm in support for better layouting and functionality overall, on the editor page, but that's a separate concern. The preview exists so you can read through the post as it will be displayed, which is what I'm using it for. I often find typos when reading it, and I also use it to better navigate through my text. The input text box is unpleasant to read through, because of a number of factors: monospace without syntax highlighting (like in source code), inline links, etc. The formatting is part of the source.

Would a side by side view that scrolls the raw text in step with the preview be a suitable solution on desktop? Would a similar approach on mobile work if it were above and below rather than side by side?

Maybe, but I can imagine that being rather annoying. Every now and then, I read through a different part of the preview than where I am writing in the source.

Would a similar approach on mobile work if it were above and below rather than side by side?

Don't think so.

trichoplax‭ wrote 3 months ago

Every now and then, I read through a different part of the preview than where I am writing in the source.

I see what you mean - sometimes I'm writing something based on wording from earlier in the same post so I would need the scrolling of source and preview to be in different parts of the post.

I wonder if it could work with a checkbox to lock or unlock the scrolling. Then we could have both scrolling in step when it's convenient, but also untick the checkbox when we want to scroll them to different positions. I guess this is a discussion for a different post though.

Yeah, that seems like more work when all I want to do is for a double-click to take me where I am in the preview, to the source.