votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Submit same flag multiple times

Parent

Submit same flag multiple times

+4
−0

I just managed to flag the same post for spam twice. I flagged it, then commented on it, then flagged it again. There are now two separate spam flags on it in my flag history.

Screenshot of the two flags in my history

This is potentially possible to abuse to acquire abilities earlier than supposed to.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
−0

When you submit a flag we don't refresh the page, and so when you flag again the flag modal doesn't "know" about your previous flag yet. After a refresh, you'll get the "you've previously flagged this as..." notice.

While duplicate flags are a little noisy, this can only happen if you flag twice before reloading the page, so it's pretty rare. I don't think we want to force a refresh after flagging, and it can be legitimate to flag the same thing twice (for example to also flag something about the user), so I'm inclined to leave this as-is unless it becomes a problem. Yes there's an abuse vector, but for that case, rate-limiting might be a better solution.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Page refresh not necessary (3 comments)
Page refresh not necessary

Then the solution is to make the flag modal aware of it. It's not necessary to refresh the page.

The problem isn't that it's an abuse vector, it's that it's confusing and unintuitive to the end user.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote about 2 months ago

I didn't mean that abuse vector; I meant a different one where somebody tries to flood us (DOS). If that becomes an issue, we would look at rate limits.

Do you know how to make the modal aware of previous flags without a refresh, with our current architecture? (I don't, but there are lots of things I don't know and I welcome education.)

Andreas from the dark caverns‭ wrote about 2 months ago · edited about 2 months ago

Monica Cellio‭i Sorry, no, I still haven't looked into the source code (personal reasons). However, I'm fully certain that it is possible in some way (to the best of my knowledge and experience with programming, there should be no technical limits on this). But, since I don't know the particular framework, nor project's source code, I cannot comment on that now. But it would certainly be something I'd look at, had I actually gotten around to sit down with it. For reasons, I haven't done that.