Welcome to Codidact Meta!
Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.
Browser-Specific Image Problems
There have been some "images don't display in all browsers" problems. This is a test of that. Each image is "Test Image" in magenta/pink letters on a white background.
Tested using browserstack.com:
- Windows 7 & 10 Firefox: TIF does not display
- Windows 7 & 10 Chrome: TIF does not display
- Windows 7 & 10 Opera: TIF does not display
- Windows 7 & 10 IE: BMP does not display
- Windows 7 & 10 Edge: TIF does not display
- Mac Safari: No problems!
- Mac Firefox: TIF does not display
- Mac Chrome: TIF does not display
- Mac Opera: TIF does not display
- Mac Edge: TIF does not display
- Android (Google Pixel 4) Chrome: TIF does not display
- Android (Google Pixel 4) Firefox: TIF does not display
- iOS (iPhone 11) Safari: No problems!
- iOS (iPhone 11) Chrome: No problems!
This appears to not be a Codidact problem per se:
- If I try to display the files directly (file://c:/etc. as a URL) in Firefox, the PNG, JPG and BMP all work as expected but TIF ends up as a download.
- Another (ahem) helpful site has some information about this problem.
So it appears that JPG and PNG are the only truly reliable image formats. Actually, I'm 99+% certain that GIF is also universal, but generally speaking JPG and PNG are preferred to GIF.
Probably no quick & easy solution. Suggestions:
- Detect BMP and TIF and offer to convert to JPG or PNG using ImageMagick or a similar system.