votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Should [status-completed] be used before the changes are live?

Parent

Should [status-completed] be used before the changes are live?

+7
−0

As of the time of writing, this request has the [status-completed] tag despite the change not being live yet. It is completely developed, sure, but since it is not yet deployed, should the request be marked completed?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−6

[status-completed] gets added once the code has been written, reviewed, and merged - i.e. is ready to deploy. Once [status-completed] has been added to a post, you can assume it'll be deployed in the next build - you can tell whether that's happened or not yet by comparing the timestamp on the answer with the timestamp of the build hash in the footer.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (8 comments)
General comments
Moshi‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Sorry, but I disagree. status-completed implies that users will actually see the change, and it is is confusing in the interim between the "completion" and the "deploy" times.

ShowMeBillyJo‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@ArtOfCode I think that's fine for the dev team tracking their own progress in Trello. But for user-facing progress indicators--which these tags are--saying an item is complete before it's deployed is like announcing to a packed restaurant that desert is ready to be served, but by the way we won't actually bring it out to you for another few days.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I see the other post has now been updated with status-planned. I think that's a good approach. We can move it to status-completed after deploy.

Mithical‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@MonicaCellio - this is the post under discussion; it still has [status-completed]. (There's another, similar, request that's tagged [status-planned] because the PR hasn't been merged yet.)

pnuts‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

I'd prefer the tag be premature (provided only very slightly) rather than be overlooked altogether. For me "will be live the next time a deploy happens" is good enough clarification for a short period. I imagine coupling the tag with the PR action makes it less likely it will be forgotten.

luap42‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Furthermore, in many cases, the changes are currently being deployed, when we add the tag. Some exceptions exist, especially if it is a "minor" thing, where we deploy only once a few of them have been done,

msh210‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I think that's fine if the tag descriptions clearly indicate that's what it means.

FoggyFinder‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Downvote. Current behavior is confusing. Reasons:

1. Users don't know date of new deploy.
  2. There are communities that don't related to development at all. How can they know what "deploy", "PR", "merged" mean ? I think that should be changed.