votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Do we have/should we have community wikis?

Do we have/should we have community wikis?

+11
−0

Over at Software Development, I've tried to write a self-answered Q&A that addresses the by far most common FAQ of all time in the topics of C and C++ programming.

When posting it on SO, I would have made such a post "community wiki", meaning that I would up all claims & credits for the post and the rep generated by it and let anyone edit it and add further details.

The only benefit of doing so for me as the author, is that I will be able to use the post as a "canonical duplicate" target in the future and close posts pointing at the canonical one. But that might be frowned upon in case I'm partial - it might be regarded as if I use close votes as a way to draw more attention to my own posts.

While what I truly wish for above all, is to have a nice, detailed post that I can clobber down endless FAQ duplicates with. (A bonus if it is better and more detailed than the corresponding post on SO.) I'm certain that similar FAQs exist all across the various Codidact communities.

My questions:

• Do we have the ability to create community wikis? I can't find anything about it on the site.
  • If we don't have that ability, then should we have it?

I'm particularly interested in scenarios like the one above, to create canonical Q&A that can be used as duplicate targets. And not so much in creating general "good to know" posts/articles/documentation with a wiki separate from Q&A, for the reasons described here.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (10 comments)
General comments
Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Also for bonus points: if we can create high quality content here, that is better than the corresponding equivalent post on That Other Network, that gives us a reason to link to the content here, rather than to that other place. We have the advantage of all the lessons learnt from there - the equivalent of my specific example is a fragmented, scattered post with 28 answers over the years, where the top-voted one is quite shallow. Doesn't take much effort to outshine that patchwork.

Dani‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I remember this being proposed already, but I can't seem to find it...

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 3 years ago

We don't have it yet. An "anyone can edit" option for the author is something I'd like to see us do. ("Anyone" to be further clarified; probably means anyone who's gained the Participate Generally ability?)

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@‭Dani‭ There has been various community-specific proposals about adding a separate documentation/wiki category, which is related but still kind of a different thing entirely, like in that link at the bottom of my post. On the electronics site this was added as a separate "Papers" category. https://electrical.codidact.com/categories/35. Which I suppose would be one way to do it, except that category would end up quite spammy if it should contain all canonical dupes.

Lundin‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

Or maybe I'm overreacting & nobody cares about imaginary internet points, so the whole partial thing is a non-issue? I personally stopped caring about them many years ago on SO, once I had unlocked all user moderator privileges. And from what I hear, a new system for moderation privileges unrelated to rep is getting rolled out?

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I have been very much in favor of such a thing from the beginning. "Harper Reinstate Monica" and I tried to make a similar thing on DIY SE a while back - essentially a How To guide that would cover a ton of routine, but important, questions, so that people could be referred to it and then either not need to ask a question at all or ask a very specific/detailed question. Unfortunately, SomewhereElse there is no way to make that question obvious/accessible so it is there but nearly useless

manassehkatz‭ wrote over 3 years ago

because nobody can find it - I've had trouble finding it myself when I have wanted to refer others to it. "Papers", "Articles", "Blog", "Wiki" - whatever you call it, the result is the same if it ends up with a multi-author well-written and easy-to-find reference work related to many typical questions on a site.

Dani‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Moshi Yep.

jrh‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

@Lundin "maybe nobody cares about imaginary internet points" -- I think the points might get more important as the site gets bigger. Deleting and editing content will get more important later. It doesn't take any rep to attempt to document something, comment, or answer, which are probably the most important things to do right now. When the content turns into an ocean of outdated stuff, that's when I start wishing I had delete votes and a better ability to edit posts.