votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Category RSS feeds should feature a post when an answer is posted

Category RSS feeds should feature a post when an answer is posted

+5
−0

The category RSS feeds (for example https://meta.codidact.com/categories/3/feed.rss) are a nice touch for being able to follow what's going on on a site (or in a favorite category) without having to check in manually.

However, there's a discrepancy between the category "activity" tab on the web site and the corresponding RSS feed, which makes the RSS feed rather less useful than it could be:

The RSS feed only reflects newly posted questions, not answers or any other activity on the questions.

I don't suppose there's any chance the category RSS feeds could at least feature also recently-answered posts? Maybe with an associated notice at the top of each entry like "A new question has been posted:" or "A new answer has been posted to this question:" or something like that.

Since the "activity" tab already basically does this, it seems like it should be fairly doable without a major performance impact.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (9 comments)
General comments
luap42‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

It's probably relatively easy to program (just a question of sort order), but I wonder, whether such a feed might be confusing some feed readers, which might not recognize, that it's basically the same post (w/ updates). Maybe you have some experience with that? Or anyone else?

Canina‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

@luap42 I haven't checked the RSS/Atom specs, but I'm pretty sure that's what the <entry> <id></id> is for. If it's the same as an already seen ID, it's an update; if it's an unseen one, it's a brand new entry. Alternatively, in case of answers, the ID (<entry> <id></id>) could be set to the answer permalink, with the entry link (<entry> <link></link>) being the question's permalink; that feels like it should make everything happy.

I'm not saying the RSS feed needs to actually feature the content of the answer per se, in case of new answers; I just want the feed to reflect the fact that something material has happened to the question, and because one is interested enough to follow the RSS feed for the category in the first place, one might want to take another look at the question. New answers being posted seems like one of the most material things that can happen to a question on a Q&A site.

ArtOfCode‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

What do you mean by "feature"? Simply bring that post back to the top? That's easy enough.

And, while I'm here, what do you mean by an "associated notice"? I'd need to re-read the specs, but I'm pretty sure the Atom spec doesn't provide for that sort of thing, unless you're thinking of just prepending it to the post body/summary.

@ArtOfCode Yes, I'm thinking of bringing the post to the top of the RSS feed, in much the same way it's brought to the top of the "active" tab on the site. I was referring to prepending text to the entry content. Also, having had a few minutes to think about it, using the answer permalink for the feed entry ID (thus, unless I'm mistaken, making it a brand new post in the eyes of a feed reader) seems likely to have the least risk of causing user or software confusion. cc @luap42

That should be easy enough.

Canina‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@ArtOfCode Not to rush you, but can you say whether this on the roadmap?

It's on the list somewhere, @aCVn - I just don't know where :)