votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Transferring my questions and answers from StackOverflow and other SE sites

Parent

Transferring my questions and answers from StackOverflow and other SE sites

+13
−0

Is it acceptable if I "transfer" my questions and answers from StackOverflow and other SE sites to their respective sites on Codidact?

I do not want to go back to SE sites, never more in my life, but I also would not like to lose all the knowledge that I registered there, and that I understand is a knowledge that also belongs to me and that can belong as well to the new Codidact community.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
−1

In one word: Absolutely!

If it's your own content, it's yours to rework and/or relicense as you see fit (or keep under CC BY-SA 4.0 as SE mandated with a twist last I looked, which admittedly was a while ago).

If it's someone else's content, you'll need to either rewrite it such that it is no longer considered a derivative work, or comply with the terms of the license under which it is available on SE.

See also Claiming posts sourced from StackExchange.

Just: if you're manually migrating content, please try to not dump it all at once onto a site (it can easily bury other posts), and try to improve it at the same time.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (4 comments)
General comments
paulocoghi‭ wrote about 3 years ago

I will do as you said, Canina, bringing my content gradually

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 3 years ago

This answer gives too much of the impression that it is OK to import anything you want. That is definitely NOT true. There are tradeoffs, downsides, and other considerations that anyone thinking of importing content must be aware of. The answer is NOT and unqualified "absolutely". Please don't give that impression.

Canina‭ wrote about 3 years ago

@OlinLathrop I'm struggling to see what is the principal difference between my answer and yours, particularly considering each's opening sentence. (You used "always", I used "absolutely". Neither is the entirety of the answer.) The question being asked here is about bringing over one's own content, not that of others. I included the part about others' content not as a carte blanche to go copying others' content without attribution, but because some posts include quotes from other posts.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote about 3 years ago

The OP asked about transferring his "questions and answers". It's not clear to me that he didn't implicitly include all answers to a question with "question", or that he wasn't considering dragging someone else's question along when copying his answer. There are some serious drawbacks to copying content from elsewhere. It can be done, but various things should be considered.