votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Taking our design to the next level: feedback wanted

Parent

Taking our design to the next level: feedback wanted

+13
−3

Our team has been exploring some ideas to improve Codidact's design. We've wanted to improve the visual design for a while, and we also have a lot of other usability changes we'd like to make. We want visual design and function to complement each other, creating a more intuitive and pleasant experience for our community members and visitors. Everything's interconnected, which has made it hard to just do that one thing now, so our design team has been working on a mockup that shows several ideas together. We'd like your feedback.

We're starting with the "post list", the list of (usually) questions on the main page of a community or any of its categories. By moving a few things around and changing the visual emphasis of certain elements, we think this new design is easier to scan and easier to interact with, whether you're looking at a list of questions or a list of recipes or a community's blog. Please check out a live mockup. Note that the design is live but data is static, not all buttons do something (but they hint at what you'd see), and you can't really go to other pages.

screenshot

Color is used more sparingly in this design, with the eye drawn to unanswered questions and the "ask" button (which is now in line with the list of questions rather than all the way to the right). The design supports header banners beyond just the logo, which we think will allow communities to express more of their identity. That orange stripe is a placeholder, to be replaced with whatever each community wants to use to convey itself visually.

The structure of categories -- a row showing the categories, description and category-specific controls below those tabs, post list below that -- is preserved with some tweaks. As you can see, we've moved the voting information to the right and decreased the size of the numbers. Both the numbers (raw data) and the score scale are shown, supporting different modes of taking in information. For some people, the "temperature" bar is the best way to convey information. For those who want a closer look, the raw numbers are still there. We'll keep the tooltips we have now (or improve them); we're not taking away guidance.

Tags are styled differently in an effort to be present and visible without necessarily being in your face. We've given titles a little more breathing room, but we think this still allows for a reasonable number of questions to be shown together.

The "expand" control is new; it allows you to see a quick summary of the page (in a pop-out modal) from right there on the post list. It'll show you the opening lines of the question and a summary of answers, sort of like the table of contents that's available on question pages. (That TOC part isn't there in the mockup now.) For posts that aren't questions, like blog posts, it'll still show the opening lines.

Sorts, filters, and search move into the right column to be "closer" to the things being sorted/filtered/searched. Eventually we envision real user-defined filters, so you can define something that shows you only questions in these tags with fewer than N answers, or posts in all categories meeting some other criteria, or only unanswered questions, or other things yet to be thought of. We haven't designed this filtering system yet (and we'll be asking for your input on what you'd like to have before we do so), but this is where it would plug in and what it could look like. Filters are kind of like named searches, so it made sense to us for search and filters to be together on the page. We think the current sorts (Activity, Votes, etc) probably fit in here too, though we grant that filters (restrict what you show) and sorts (show the same things in different orders) are not quite the same thing.

This design doesn't show the rest of the right column, which we'd like to review separately. For communities that have an important notice (particularly relevant for certain professions), this notice will remain prominent at the top of the column. Other stuff, like featured posts, ads, selected questions, the chat and advertising links, and so on -- that stuff's all subject to more review later, and ultimately we think communities should decide what shows up there. We're also hoping to use that space sometimes for contextual information -- for example, formatting help when you're creating or editing a post.

The design is responsive; try changing your window size to see how it looks for different form factors.

We've been tossing around low-end sketches (Paintbrush is my friend...) with circles and arrows and comments like "clicking here does X". We'd like to thank Matt Brent for turning those vague ideas and his own design experience into a real design that we can now bring to the community for feedback before writing code.

Why are we spending effort on a new design when we have a design that works fine now? Partly to visually distinguish ourselves even more, partly to have a solid foundation for all the things we want to add that were never thought of when the original QPixel code was being written, and partly to empower our communities to customize their presentation along with their content. We think this design helps to highlight the things that are different (we think better) about Codidact. We want communities to be able to build their dreams and we want visitors to see what is possible, what makes it worth looking around.

Please check out the mockup and use answers here to tell us what you like and where you see issues or have suggestions. We want your feedback and constructive criticism so we can all work together to build an even better Codidact.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?
+17
−0

Keep the bidirectional score bar I personally prefer the current bidirectional score bar over the proposed one. It al …

3y ago

+14
−0

Keep special styling for top level and moderator tags (Top level being the blue discussion, feature-request, bug, and …

3y ago

+12
−0

Don't call it "expand", call it "preview" Minor detail, but since the purpose of that feature seems to be to preview …

3y ago

+9
−0

Keep the "expand"/"preview" action link in place Another small detail, but something that has a tendency to annoy me. …

3y ago

+7
−0

Loving the discussion. As the main person responsible for the design I wanted to share my thinking to help inform some f …

3y ago

+7
−0

Emphasize the site name over the network Currently, in the top left corner, where it says `meta.codidact.com`, while …

3y ago

+11
−1

Hover state changes shouldn't cause elements to change size As an example, try using a mouse on desktop to hover over …

3y ago

+10
−1

Don't touch my avatar! This was already brought up in a comment, but I want to put it in something that can be voted …

3y ago

+6
−0

Add exclude options for the tag filter Perhaps add a section below the tag include filter so we can quickly and easil …

3y ago

+5
−0

> Color is used more sparingly in this design, with the eye drawn to unanswered questions and the "ask" button (which is …

3y ago

+5
−0

Make another pass over the color choices Just some general observations here... Blue background is used to highlig …

3y ago

+3
−0

I was checking UI/UX in android. I had marked what isn't looking well right now. >ui >Look at following picture. In …

3y ago

+2
−0

I really don't like the change to tags. "...without necessarily being in your face" They need to be in one's face! …

3y ago

+2
−0

Save space for the questions The focus of the site are the questions and answers. Taking over vertical space with hea …

3y ago

+4
−1

Merge the two top bars. Like in Reddit. Reddit header Saves space while still allowing plenty of community customi …

3y ago

+5
−2

I definitely do not appreciate the bigger fonts. This makes much less content displayed at the same time, which is bad e …

3y ago

+1
−0

In my honest opinion, the new look is actually really good. The color palette also seems to do well on the new GUIs you …

3y ago

+1
−0

More phone feedback -- smaller layout issues. For a screenshot see this answer ('cause wow is that huge and I don't wan …

3y ago

+1
−0

I looked at the mockup on my phone. At default zoom this is what I see (in Chrome, in case it matters): Screenshot …

3y ago

+1
−2

Another observation: In the new design, the search bar is on the side, which automatically makes it shorter. Which IM …

3y ago

1 comment thread

General comments (9 comments)
−0

Save space for the questions

The focus of the site are the questions and answers. Taking over vertical space with headers and such creates a need for a larger amount of scrolling to get to content on every page. Please do it sparingly.

In the current scheme, I can see 4 questions without scrolling. With the new scheme, I can only see 3.

Proposals that help in this regard have already been given, but still I found it important to generalize this goal for voting on its own right.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
Moshi‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

"Taking over vertical space with headers..." Actually, on my display, the new site has a shorter header - the main space issue is because of the larger font size used for post titles and such.

Quasímodo‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

@Moshi Hmm I'm counting the 3 headers. On current layout: (1) Codidact logo, (2) Q&A Site Proposals Blog, (3) Q&A Posts etc. On mockup: (1) Blue header, (2) orange header, (3) Q&A Site Proposals Blog.