votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Please, don't kill Olin Elthrop‭!

Parent

Please, don't kill Olin Elthrop‭!

+4
−4

I just found this user Olin Elthrop‭ and read the profile description.

I felt like I had to report it, since it may be considered trolling or insulting against another user Olin Lathrop (a high-rep user and a mod on EECo).

But, really, it's such a beautifully crafted piece of ironic writing (and that photo is integral part of it)! It made me laugh and almost cry.

Don't get me wrong, I hold Olin (Lathrop) in the highest esteem, so if he finds that insulting, ban the user or delete the account with no mercy (it seems there is another account under the same name with a similar profile description, and the user was banned).

However I really hope Olin (Lathrop) finds it amusing as I do and speaks for letting it live, as long as it remains like this and the user doesn't do anything disrupting against this site.

BTW, that photo is exceptionally well photoshopped, at least I guess it is, otherwise I may start thinking that user was created by Olin (Lathrop) himself as a self irony stunt!

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

General (5 comments)
Wait for the end! (6 comments)
−4

Issues like this should be flagged for mod attention, not "discussed on meta". There is nothing to discuss & the staff doesn't need input from random users about their "opinions" on the matter. Impersonating other users is simply not OK, nor is discussing individual users on meta for whatever the reason.

Let the moderators handle this and just flag it next time.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Strictly speaking, that wasn't impersonating (except for the photo). And it was evident that the user... (8 comments)
Strictly speaking, that wasn't impersonating (except for the photo). And it was evident that the user...
Lorenzo Donati‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Strictly speaking, that wasn't impersonating (except for the photo). And it was evident that the user intent wasn't to impersonate Olin Lathrop. So I didn't find something blatantly against the rules (since the stuff is in the profile description).

Lorenzo Donati‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

About staff doesn't need input from random users about their "opinions" on the matter.. I beg to disagree. The whole CoDidact project started because someone in the StackExchange company thought users had no say in things. I would be very wary to contribute if we start building the same toxic environment here. CoDidact is by definition community-controlled. If the community deems my post is irrelevant, or inappropriate, it can just downvote it.

Lundin‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

If you don't understand why disciplinary matters or individual users should be discussed in private instead in some public meta discussion, then I suspect you have no experience of moderation. Lynch mobs or witch hunts isn't democracy, it is the opposite. You are the one building toxicity here. Discussing individual users on a public meta thread is very toxic and uncomfortable at best for the person targeted. Doing so is not tolerated on SO so I don't see why it should be tolerated here.

About my lack of mod experience on the web, you are right. However, when I wrote that post I didn't see any severe problem about that profile. Irony and sarcasm is an old way to display dissent, and was allowed even under the most tyrannical rulers (court jesters anyone?!?). I think the ultimate judge about that profile should be Olin Lathrop, which is the only person that could feel offended by that speech.

Disciplinary action? I'm not really sure there is a clear basis for mod intervention without Olin Lathrop chiming-in. Since, technically, you can't "prosecute" irony and sarcasm "in the name of the powers that be". Besides, I'm neither trying to bully people nor to organize lynch mobs, which you seem to believe, and my post is quite clear about it (if you don't agree, please, show me where I gave that impression).

Moreover, I think humor goes a long way to deescalate things in a community. It also helps building a community. The title in my post should have made it clear, since it was meant as an ironic rebuttal of the profile description in question.

"Discussing individual users on a public meta..." I didn't discuss a user, but just what he posted on his profile, which is already public, and was obviously meant to be public. I never said or implied anything about the user himself.

Lorenzo Donati‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

What I criticized in your comment was the sentence I quoted. And I quoted it to focus just on that very sentence and the attitude that transpires from it.

You add to that (apparently in the same vein): "Doing so is not tolerated on SO so I don't see why it should be tolerated here.". May I answer: "Because we want to be different from SO", maybe? And this is not an objection to your point, but to your rationale for it. What do they do on SO is none of my business any longer.

I say it again, to be completely clear, I have no problem with you criticizing my bringing up the topic. We can discuss that.

I have some problems with your stated reasoning behind that criticism. Because it seems to me that you use SE network as a paragon stone for how we should behave here, and that you think the community is not central to decisions. If this is true (I may have gotten it wrong, due to language barriers and word nuances), then I strongly disagree.