votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on How can I effortlessly spawn new, unused URLs to the same question on Codidact?

Parent

How can I effortlessly spawn new, unused URLs to the same question on Codidact?

+1
−5

I'd like to submit links to unanswered Codidact questions, to Reddit, in order to try to get them answered and popularize Codidact.

Although some SubReddits forbid submitting a link already published to any subreddit in the past — to fight spam — the snag is that on many SubReddits, my submitted link never appears because

1. moderators forget to approve the link,

2. or I don't have enough karma points and the post automatically is filtered out and removed from view.

Then my submitted link never gets published on the subreddit, thus I'm not spamming, thus this is principled and ethical.

This isn't a hitch for Stack Exchange posts, because I can append integers. Reddit admits the following as unique URLs.

https://math.stackexchange.com/a/3619240 https://math.stackexchange.com/a/3619240/1 ... https://math.stackexchange.com/a/3619240/50

But this fails for Codidact questions.

https://powerusers.codidact.com/posts/282135/1 yields "a 404 NOT FOUND" page.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Don't do it for SE links either! (1 comment)
−2

I'm not familiar with Reddit. Still, reasoning generally:

"nobody ever sees my submitted link" doesn't imply that the behavior isn't in violation of the rules there, let alone that the behavior is ethical.

Also, pretty much by your own admission, "nobody ever sees my submitted link" is at least an incorrect (and likely outright false) statement, since you also state that there are moderators involved who "forget to approve the link". Disregarding the matter of being able to tell the difference from the outside between "forgetting" to approve something and declining something, for someone to "approve" something, they clearly have to see it first.

If what you are trying to do was acceptable where you are trying to do it, nobody would have bothered to design and implement a feature specifically to block it. The fact that (in this particular case) Reddit have spent time and money to enable such a block is a pretty solid clue that they do not consider such behavior acceptable, whether or not it is explicitly spelled out in the rules as being outright prohibited. Many terms of service also include a general prohibition on trying to circumvent technical barriers, which can also apply to what you are trying to do.

At the very least, trying to circumvent rules shows a lack of respect. That's not something we want people to associate with Codidact.

Absolutely do promote content which is hosted on Codidact, as well as Codidact in general, where and when appropriate, but in doing so, respect the rules that are in place where you do.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

I edited my post. The issue is whether the post gets published, not whether moderators can see the p... (1 comment)
I edited my post. The issue is whether the post gets published, not whether moderators can see the p...
TextKit‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I edited my post. The issue is whether the post gets published, not whether moderators can see the post.

"If what you are trying to do was acceptable where you are trying to do it, nobody would have bothered to design and implement a feature specifically to block it." No? SubReddits with this feature are trying to block spam or links being republished on different subreddits. It's not intended to forbid links that never got published on any subreddit. Other SubReddits DON'T have this feature.