votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Don't add duplicate notifications if an unread notification for the same event type and parent post already exists

Don't add duplicate notifications if an unread notification for the same event type and parent post already exists

+4
−2

I was away from Codidact for a few hours and, coming back, saw that I had ⑨ unread notifications.

Practically as I was watching it, the number grew to ⑩.

This wouldn't be so bad, but it turned out that they really were for just three comment threads.

Getting one notification for each comment being added, before you have even had a chance to react to the notifications already in your notification inbox, can get rather overwhelming.

Hence, I propose that: if there is an existing unread notification, for the same type of event and relating to the same parent post (new answers to the same question, edits to the same post, comments within the same comment thread, new comment thread on the same post, etc.) then no further notification should be added to the inbox.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

I'm curious what the downvotes mean (3 comments)
I'm curious what the downvotes mean
Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

I'm really curious what the downvotes to this suggestion mean. Do they mean "no, duplicate notifications are useful", or is there something about the suggestion itself that could be improved such as, say, it's unclear what is being proposed?

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Actually, I down-voted for 2 reason. (1) title of post and thread is showing. So, you can read title before clicking on them. So, you don't have to visit multiple times. Even, you can mark them as read without visiting. (2) I don't want the feature until the notification comes live. Cause, there's some problem with timing. (I had another reason. But, I have forgotten it. :( So, Sorry! (That was the main reason.)) (The second one also doesn't make sense to me)

Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago

deleted user I'm not quite sure what you mean with your #2, but as for #1, while that's a valid point, the size of the dropdown and the size of each notification combine to show only about three notifications at once, which (especially as they aren't grouped together by post, but simply listed in reverse chronological order) at least to me is insufficient to get an overview.