votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on "forgot email address" system

Parent

"forgot email address" system

+0
−3

Usually, I was logging out for some reason. Whenever I try to login I get a message "Invalid email or password". Usually, I forgot my email address or password. There's a way to change password if I forgot. But, what if I forgot my email address.

I really forget my email address some time (It might sounds funny to some people. But, I really forget email some time). But, I was thinking if there was a button "forgotten email address". User have to choose username but, that's available publicly so, I think it would be better if user have to guess email address either. They should get 3 (not more than 5) chance. If they put wrong password than, block him for an hour.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Blocking accounts based on failed logins is a bad idea (2 comments)
−0

If you forget your email address, contact support and we'll be able to assist. Allowing people to guess the email address for an account is not something that can be done securely and in a way that protects user privacy.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

A possible secure way for email address recovery (6 comments)
General Comments (2 comments)
A possible secure way for email address recovery
celtschk‭ wrote over 2 years ago

A secure way that works with still valid and read email addresses would be if at the user page a password-protected (with that user's password) link “I forgot my email” would send some standard email to the email address. That way nobody else can get at the email (you have to have read access to the email to figure out what it is), and the password protection means no one can use it to spam you. Of course that won't help if you used a throw-away email address.

Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago

celtschk‭ For that to work, would it not require that you'd know which email account to check? In which case you either know the email address already (so no need to "recover" it), or the set of possible addresses is small enough that you can easily check them all (in which case why not just try to log in using them, one at a time)? Especially if it's protected by that user's own password.

Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Seems to me the only scenario for which that would help is if you have a large number of forwarding addresses, all of them forwarding to a central account, and you used a forwarding address for Codidact but forgot which one but still remember your Codidact password. I doubt that's a common use case.

Canina‭ Do people really have so many email accounts that checking all of them is hard? On the other hand having several email addresses to the same account is not that uncommon. In particular, some providers allow you to stick some almost arbitrary stuff at the end of your user name to get an essentially unique email address. Forgetting which arbitrary stuff you appended for that specific account for me is the most plausible reason of why you would forget your email address.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the claim “not worth the effort”. I only object to the claim “not possible”.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

I think if I mail support at codidact.com than they might show me first few characters and last few characters. Then, that person maybe find out that email.