votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on I suggest to better format the title ("summarize your post with a title") area

I suggest to better format the title ("summarize your post with a title") area

+3
−4

By some odd mistake I wrote only about half a title to a post in Scientific Speculation yesterday:

The post stayed like this for many hours and two down votes came; unsurprisingly with down votes, no comment such as "I recon the title is broken" was left (and I find it plausible to think that the broken title caused to bias the reader just right on start).

I quite like the idea that titles are under post bodies in post edit pages but I think that the title area should be less "buried" between the post body and the tags area, should get some more special CSS and perhaps even get some minimal length; either way, automatic transfer to a preview page of a post (as happens in StackExchange, which is something I myself proposed there at the time) might be better than anything else.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Minimal length is already a thing (1 comment)
Show more
More than title was broken
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

I was one of the downvoters. Yes, the blatantly broken title made me immediately dislike the post. It would have needed to be a stellar post to recover. It wasn't. It seemed to be largely a bunch of disorganized thoughts with it not obvious what the question actually was. This was not helped by the very poor writing. Writing quality matters, a lot, whether you think it should or not. It may not be your fault you don't know English well, but it's not my fault either. Reading bad writing is quite annoying, and you have a history of such posts. I finally had enough, so I downvoted.

There is no excuse for something as obviously broken as your original title staying that way for "many hours". This means you didn't even look at the result after posting. I'd downvote it again just for that if I could.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

I don't find your comment helpful; what is the "poor writing"? Do you think that I have a "history of bad posts" due to poor English per se?. Of course I reject the thought that this is "a bunch of disorganized thoughts" and that "There is no excuse for something as obviously broken as your original title".

Also Olin Lathrop‭ I won't be surprised that you have downvoted that post too, if so, why? Was my suggestion bad in your opinion?...

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Yes, you have a history of posts that are annoying to read because of the bad English. Again, I realize this may not be your fault. However, that doesn't change the end result, which is ultimately all that matters.

This isn't the place for a detailed critique. If you want one, ask about it in the meta of the site where the original was posted.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Yes, to put it bluntly (since you asked), I downvoted your suggestion because you are asking for an unnecessary feature from the system because you got caught being sloppy.

Olin Lathrop‭ I reject the claim that that doesn't change the end result, which is ultimately all that matters; for you people and their problems won't matter, you don't speak for al users of the site; the site can be improved to be more usable to people who speak bad English such as myself.

I don't think I am sloppy to be caught or that the feature is unnecessary but okay, opinions exchanged...

luap42‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Archiving this thread, because

1. it is not strictly related to this question but to the linked one and the matter discussed here should -- if it needs to be -- discussed on that post,

2. both sides have made their point clear and there isn't much purpose IMO to continue this discussion given its previous path and,

3. some comments in this thread are at least borderline aggressive for respectful discourse.

You are free to bring up the topic of expected language quality on the per-community metas if you wish to continue this discussion in a reasonable manner.