votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Welcome to Codidact Meta!

Codidact Meta is the meta-discussion site for the Codidact community network and the Codidact software. Whether you have bug reports or feature requests, support questions or rule discussions that touch the whole network – this is the site for you.

Comments on Proposal for Wikipedia article

Parent

Proposal for Wikipedia article

+6
−0

Encouraged to write about it by the thread.

I remember correctly, when I joined Codidact 8-9 months ago I was searching about Codidact in search engine. What is Codidact? When it was launched? And some other questions. I end up with found nothing in search engine. I remember, I found a post in Medium which was posted by Mithical. I didn't found too much information about Codidact there. So I was thinking to search in Wikipedia even I found no Wikipedia page there. Later, when I listened that only there was 2 contributor in Codidact so wanted to contribute Codidact site that moment (didn't know about QPixel and open-source foundation). So I created a new question about that. Mithical had introduced me to https://github.com/codidact/qpixel.

Anyone can know about Codidact by creating new questions if similar question isn't available out there. But if they don't know what is Codidact then why they will join Codidact. When I was kid I used to create account here and there. But when I saw fraud out there 2-3 times then I stopped creating account here and there. I just do some searches in search engine. But if I don't find anything then I don't create account. But I couldn't stop myself from getting a nitro in Discord 5-6 months ago but that was also fraud :|, I had done some searches in search engine a website was saying that, that fraud website was created 21 days ago so they couldn't say anything about it. So I thought I could give it a try. My account was hacked latter I deleted that account. Even an user out there in Codidact were saying sub-reddit were detecting Codidact link as spam (that's their policy but if people sees the same thing then they will think 1000 times before creating account here if they don't find any information in search engine).

So my opinion is we should start writing about Codidact here and there, average people in SE knows about Codidact, but my question is "do questioners have idea of Codidact also?" Codidact will be benefitted if we write a Wikipedia article. Cause peoples are interested to about open-source, Stack Exchange, Expert Exchange etc etc. When they will search about them then Codidact might come to suggestion if it happens then they will be interested know join and know more about it. So we should write an article. And anyone can edit Wikipedia page. I would request you to write something for the Wikipedia page, if you want to directly edit there, then it's ok also.

It might be more better if a staff wrote in Wikipedia rather than me. (I repeat anyone can edit there directly)

I would request to upvote and downvote for the proposal not for the following "article". I will also request to correct my mistakes and write your thoughts in answer and separate your thoughts using blockquote or <hr></hr>, you can use title if you want. Finally I am writing it for draft purpose, I am not planning to submit it in a month. But I will try to market the Codidact platform in the cyber world more. (I didn't join Codidact when it was launched so most of my word can be wrong also)

Codidact

Codidact is an open-source organization. Codidact is a network of question-and-answer(Q&A) websites on topics in diverse fields, each site covering a specific topic, where questions, answers, and users are subject to a reputation award process. Codidact members aim is to help and empower, not to dictate.

"we work with our communities, they cut us some slack and sometimes even contribute code. We’re partners, not provider and users. This collaboration helps us all build better tools and stronger communities. Fostering that spirit of collaboration is essential."[6]

What is Codidact?

The name “Codidact” comes from the prefix “co-”, meaning to do something together, and the word “didactic”, which means something designed to teach.

Plainly put, Codidact is an open-source question and answer platform, for all kinds of different topics — or at least it will be, once development has reached the point where it can go live.

But that’s an oversimplification. To get some idea of what Codidact plans to be, what sparked its development, and what sets Codidact apart, we’re going to have to dig into a bit of history.[1]

There's already lot of communities in Codidact. If you have idea of any new community then you can write a proposal of site there. Codidact has already 17 communities for Programming, Linux, Computer, Physics and lots more you can find lot of helpful posts there.

Imported question's and answer's license is under Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0). An user can choose license as their need.

Contents

• 1 History
  • 2 Site features
  • 3 Technologies used
  • 6 References
  • 7 External links
  • History

Codidact was launched officially around December 2020, but QPixel GitHub repository was created on May, 1, 2016. Currently 7 people are actively working on the Codidact organization and there's only 2 programmer ArtOfCode and Luap (also known as Paul). People can willingly contribute to Codidact organization also. Donation feature was added recently (2021-11-30T01:34:34Z). ArtOfCode and other staffs were elected by voting of publics. The voting is archived and can be found in Discord. Monica Cellio was selected to lead the specifications and documentation front of our project. ArtOfCode was selected to lead the team aspects of our project. Marc Ranolfi was selected to lead the technical aspects of our project.

Team leader ArtOfCode was working on Codidact since August, 2019. He said in February, 2021, "We’ve built up from nothing, planned what we wanted to do, put systems up, started work, changed course, re-started work, switched systems, and welcomed and lost a whole load of team members along the way. We’ve served just under 5 million requests and 50GB of data in the last month — which is not vast scale, but it’s certainly much bigger scale than anything else anyone on our team has worked with. We’ve all learned a lot along the way: our team is still small, and we’ve all got other commitments; while everyone has things they’re good at, we’ve all had to learn bits of other areas to be able to support each other as well".

They originally picked C# and ASP.NET Core to build their platform. But ArtOfCode announced that he had a SE clone. The SE clone was built using Ruby on rails while most of contributor and members said not to use Ruby on rails. ArtOfCode started to inspire why Ruby on rails is not bad, He said, "GitHub and GitLab are both built with Rails; they have huge workloads. I also maintain another application using Rails that handles a huge dataset with no issues. Benchmarks aren’t always the best way to judge things…"

He used to bulit QPixel before 2019 and he claimed that it was outdated and he also said they can revive the project back. Covid-19 also helped them to manage the project, they got enough time to work on the project. It's not only him who worked for Codidact but also Paul created Co-Design. The design system was applied to QPixel to bring the design up to date and fully responsive.[5]

Site Features

We didn't set out to have a reputation stat, but because we started by adapting code that had it, we started out that way. When we brought up removing it, a few people objected strongly. (See, for example, this discussion.)

We've "nerfed" reputation; unlike on SO, reputation doesn't affect your abilities. It's just a number. Abilities are instead governed by specific, related activity; for example, you earn the privilege of editing directly by having enough of your suggested edits accepted.

We've also made the "usercard", the stats that accompany your name and avatar on posts and in the users list, configurable. A community that feels strongly that rep is important can show it; a community that wants to downplay it can remove rep from that block of stats.

[2]

Categories

Categories might be associated with articles, glossaries, groups, or other organizations or resources that might be helpful to a research team. You can think of Codidact as a blank template to better organize information, whatever that organization might be.[3] Categories help to separate blogs, proposal and Q&A (It can be changed per community as their needs). Electrical Engineering Codidact community has papers while Cooking Codidact recipes and challenge category.

Comments

Comments are very important for giving feedback and asking for clarifications. Some other platforms try to keep comments focused and prune the discussions that naturally happen too, but we know that doesn't work -- and sometimes it's not constructive. Communities are made out of people and people like to discuss things. The problem with discussions in comments on other platforms isn't the discussions; it's that someone coming to the page is presented with "57 more comments (click here)" and that's sad to navigate.[4]

Each posts can have different kind of comments while it's really hard to find a comment related to yours when there's 50 or more comments. But threaded comments separate comments with title. A thread can have too much comments, and you can judge all comments by seeing the title of that thread.

Technologies used

Codidact uses MySQL server and Ruby on Rails frameworks. And C# is used for authentication. They used to run production server. That server runs :
    • nginx(reverse proxy and server for codidact.com)

1. https://superplane39.medium.com/codidact-the-community-oriented-q-a-platform-d2684d82d837 ↩︎

2. https://meta.codidact.com/posts/281377/281378#answer-281378 ↩︎

3. https://rseng.github.io/rseng/software/codidact ↩︎

4. https://meta.codidact.com/posts/282342 ↩︎

5. https://words.artofcode.co.uk/building-codidact/ ↩︎

6. https://medium.com/nerd-for-tech/building-codidact-communities-1b9e0895373e ↩︎

I wanted to design the article for Wikipedia. I used some classes of Wikipedia but mistakenly used some of Codidact's. And I mostly used HTML tags rather than markdown.

We will have a comparison in that list also just a reminder
    History
    Why does this post require moderator attention?
    You might want to add some details to your flag.
    Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Is the history of Codidact written down anywhere? (4 comments)
    Wiki != Wikipedia (2 comments)
    −0

I would love for Codidact to have an entry on Wikipedia and, particularly, for it to be linked in this list of Q&A platforms.

Wikipedia has notability requirements that must be met before they'll host a page. Basically, we need media or other prominent discussions of Codidact that didn't come from us. Our own web site, and blog posts written by our team members, do not qualify.

If we could get some coverage in tech media, that would help us qualify for Wikipedia. If anybody has any contacts that could lead to an independent article about us, I'd love to hear about it. What we can't do is write an article for them to publish; while I assume a journalist could interview us as part of an article, we can't be the driving force or create the content ourselves.

We need to catch the interest of someone(s) who can and would like to write about us and is reputable in Wikipedia's eyes.

Possibly helpful resources: team members have written bits and pieces about our history in various places:

None of these help for Wikipedia because they're internal, but the information in them could help in talking with other media.

History
    Why does this post require moderator attention?
    You might want to add some details to your flag.

4 comment threads

Is "Fandom" a good idea? (1 comment)
    Found this (3 comments)
    I wonder why I didn’t find Art's article while searching using bing. (1 comment)
    Ars Technica? But Codidact still needs quality content first. (3 comments)
    Ars Technica? But Codidact still needs quality content first.
    Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Ars Technica tends to have pretty good coverage of open-source issues, they have covered events relating to Some Other Company relatively recently, and is broadly seen as a reputable, if somewhat niche, news site. Might pitching Codidact to them be worth a shot?

That doesn't solve the issue of low-quality content, though; if we do successfully pitch Codidact to any news outlet with any significant reach, anyone who checks out the network in response to such an article would need to find a reasonable amount of high quality content right then. It's unlikely that we'd get much of a second chance with lots of people to make a first impression after a first article is published.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I had Ars Technica in mind when I wrote that (and almost named them). I don't have any contacts there; I hope someone else knows a way in. And I agree that we need to make things more appealing for visitors who come in response to such an article.

Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Monica Cellio‭ They have a quite prominently placed "contact us" link, and the top "department" selection on that page, in turn, is "Tips, Suggestions, and Press Releases", along with "Press Inquiries, PR" and "Contributed Bylines/Sponsored Posts". Depending on the focus, any of those could potentially apply. They also have a staff directory, and for at least one random pick (I didn't check all of them) offer a direct email address. I'd call that pretty accessible as far as reaching them is concerned.